Amp blowing PS FETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have another Auna ALP404CH amplifier. Interesting amps, the other cheap amplifiers usually blow only outputs and sometimes PS FETs and thats it but these have some weird issues, every one of them
One of my first attempts to fix an amplifier is here, also Auna ALP404CH: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-...-exessive-current-when-speaker-connected.html

When powering up amp is in protection, then it tries to switch on but goes back to protection, after few seconds tries to power up again, draws current, something crackles and one of the PS FETs on one side fails, I have current limiting headlamp inline with B+.
Gate resistors and drivers are already replaced. I also replaced 494.
It does this with and without rectifiers installed.

When I do not install PS FETs on the problematic side of the amp and disable protection via lifting few jumpers near 494 all channels produce clean audio.

If protection is disabled and all PS FETs installed amp still draws too much current and blows one of the FETs.

If I remove the blown FET but leave others in, amp draws too much current but does not blow any more FETs, if I leave only one FET in the problematic side then amp does not draw too much current.

With 3 FETs installed and transformer from the problematic side removed amp still draws too much current. When the other transformer is removed then amp does not draw current but does not come out of protection either.

I pulled all Fets, tried the same thing with other side of the board, also all nice squares.
Then i put in new FETs in the problematic side. Two of them blew. Left good ones in, installed 1k resistors from gate to drain in place of blown FETs on one I get clean square, on the not so clean, see first attached photo. Square is clean on the 494 side of the gate resistor.

Also there is a waveform on 22 ohm resistors coming from 494 and going to transformers, I have never checked if there is just +12V or some waveform, anyway, what I saw on those resistors is on second photo.

Attachments

• DSC00523.JPG
    DSC00523.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00524.JPG
    DSC00524.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 80
Some new screens of waveforms I found from the amp.
Timebase for all photos: 5us, vertical: 2V
First photo is gate signal on a FET.
Second and third photo are gate signal on gate pad with 1k resistor connected from gate to drain, both are driven by the same driver transistor.

Attachments

• DSC00529.JPG
    DSC00529.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00530.JPG
    DSC00530.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00531.JPG
    DSC00531.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 64
It is PNP transistor.2SA1015 is printed on the board on all 4 locations for drivers. Two have their bases connected to pin 9 of 494, two of them to pin 10 of 494.

All collectors tied to ground, emitters connect to gates of two IRFZ44N through a 100 ohm resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.