Purchasing parts for amp/equipment repairs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Purchasing parts for amp/equipment repairs

I have been purchasing parts from Digi-Key, but do not know if they are the best option.
I live in the Southeast USA and really do not know what my options are. The only retailer that carries parts within a 50 mile radius is Radio Shack and the store here offers very limited options.

I have seen references to Digi-Key, Mouser, Arrow, & Future Electronics. Looking at some common parts, Arrow seems to be the lowest on everything, selling their individual parts at close to the same prices that you have to buy 2000 at other places to get. Does anyone know why?

If they are so low, how come the others are still in business.

I thought I would check and see who others are buying from and why.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

High volume sales, most likely. I was initially concerned about the low prices (worried about getting sub-standard parts) but I've purchased a lot of parts from them and have never found a problem with the parts.

If you register, the prices are lower than the price quoted for those who are not logged in.

If you don't get a tracking number and confirmation that the order has shipped within 48 hours, contact them. I've had a couple of orders that I received a confirmation that the order was received but they were not shipped. This is the only (minor) problem that I've had with them.

They also (sometimes) initially charge significantly more than required for shipping when using a credit card. This is done before they know the actual shipping charges. When the item is shipped, they back out the original charge and charge you the correct amount. I think several of the distributors do this.
Old 18th August 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Awesome. Thanks.

I was wondering if you had to be a business to buy from them or if they had a large minimum order amount, but it doesn't seem like it.

I will register and attempt to place an order with them to see how it goes.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I haven't seen any requirements. I think they'll sell to anyone.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

add avnet to your search list, I've found that they can beat arrow most of the time, with lower shipping costs too.
Old 20th August 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
jc2 is offline jc2
diyAudio Member

I use either Digikey or Newark. Newark is usually a little bit cheaper, but seems to be more likely to not carry the stuff I need, but I get parts the next day with standard shipping since it comes out of Gaffney SC.

Digikey is still the winner to me if I don't know the exact part number I need and I need to use the search feature. Digikey with USPS priority tends to get delivered to me in 2 days as well
Old 21st August 2012, 07:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

i use digikey as well. they do not charge shipping until they know the amount. and, the shipping is pretty quick (and I'm in Alaska) the packaging is also environmentally responsible.

Hide this!Advertise here!