Arduino Car Stereo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2012, 06:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Arduino Car Stereo

I'm new to electronics (coming from a Software background) and have started playing with an Arduino to control an Si4703 FM Receiver.

My goal is to eventually create a car stereo with an Aux-in feature (from an iPhone). Here's what I'm planning:
  1. Switch between the radio and Aux-in using a 5V 2A DPDT Relay (EC2-5NA)
  2. Control the volume using a Dual Audio Digital Pot (DS1807)
  3. The output would then go to an Amplifier.
Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Could I do it better another way?

Thanks,
Andrew

[EDIT]
All the code and libraries for my Arduino project, can now be found at:
http://www.retrojdm.com/ArduinoCarStereo.asp
[/EDIT]

Last edited by andrewzuku; 27th October 2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added links to Code
Old 29th July 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know enough about the FM receiver to offer any advice but if you plan on using the iphone on a charger that connects to the vehicle's electrical system, you may run into problems with engine noise due to ground loops. The can be solved by using a balanced input for the iphone or using a ground loop isolator.
Old 29th July 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it and do a little testing using in the car

The radio I'm using is a breakout board from sparkfun.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10663?
Old 29th July 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd think the arduino would be a very good way of tying this all together and controlling the various chips. Does the volume control IC also provide bass, treble and balance controls as a minimum?

Rather than a relay I'd probably use a cmos switch to switch the audio from the iPhone.. Given the battery life of an iPhone I'd think you could use it as an audio source without too much concern about charging it while connected to the stereo. (Noise injection might be a problem with a car charger)
Old 30th July 2012, 01:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The DS1807 doesn't have treble / bass control. It's basically just a dual digital potentiometer. Balance could be achieved by controlling the left and right channels independently.

For now, I want to keep the whole system as simple as possible (while I'm learning).

----------------------------------------

Here's some extra info for anyone curious about what I'm up to...

Based on an Arduino MEGA 2560 R3, my project has the following features working so far:
  • Si4703 FM Receiver
  • DS1307 Realtime Clock
  • 4-character 7-segment display (to be replaced with an alphanumeric display)
  • Tuning and Volume rotary encoders
  • Source / Mute / Display / Set Clock buttons
  • Seek up/down buttons
  • 5 radio presets (plus Mem button) with LED indicators
Pushing "Display" toggles between the radio frequency and clock.
Setting the clock is achieved using the "Set" button (to cycle between hours/minutes/ok) and the "Tuning" rotary encoder.

Click the image to open in full size.

The expensive part of my project is going to be creating a faceplate the looks nice enough to put in a car. I'm planning on having one laser-cut from stainless steel, then printed on.

The reason for all this is to avoid cutting my car's dash to fit a new stereo. Unfortunately the hole in my 1977 Toyota Celica is a strange size that even a "RetroSound" won't fit.
RetroSoundUSA.com - Classic Style Radio Systems
Old 30th July 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Would it be practical to use your phone for the display? I assume its serial comms interface to the FM receiver or arduino. Create an app to send data or retrieve it from the arduino board.

Android has the ioio board which makes a nice link for this situation.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey Brandes, you're right about the FM receiver being controlled serially. Both the radio and realtime clock use I2C.

I'd thought about the opposite, where the Arduino would control the iPhone. I even daydreamed about getting fancy and doing it all via bluetooth. At the moment my ambition greatly exceeds my skill

I want to keep my radio looking oldschool (so it doesn't look out of place in a 70s car). Here's a photo of my interior (with OEM radio), and another from an 80s Toyota brochure showing the look I'm trying to copy.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I like the old school look, which you could keep your knobs, but make the display look like the old push buttons from yesteryear! I think the Iphone is a straight modbus communications link, nothing fancy about it. That might be a little to much for now!

I'm lost when it comes to Iphone/lock down coding. I assume the Arduino uses an Atmel processor? I have done some embedded C with atmel and have moved towards Java/C# now. Which lends itself nicely for android apps.

Good luck, I may order one of the those FM modules to play with.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I neglected my Arduino Car Stereo project for a month while I worked on the car and waited for eBay purchases to arrive.

I've finally got the following working using a PT2314 (also known as Mosa MS6714):
  • 4-channel Input switching
  • Volume
  • Balance
  • Treble
  • Bass
It's only using two inputs at the moment (Tuner, and Line-in). I'm thinking of adding USB/MP3 functionality via a VMusic2 in the future. We'll see I guess.

Here's a photo of my breadboard spaghetti...

Click the image to open in full size.

...So much for keeping it simple

To Do:
  • 12-char 5x7 LED display (3x HCMS-2903's)
  • Design a PCB as an Arduino MEGA shield
  • Design a PCB for the buttons/display face (connected to the shield via an oldschool floppy drive ribbon cable)
  • Stainless steel faceplate laser cut and and etched
Old 1st September 2012, 03:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i'm pretty sure i have some stuff laying around that could fit and mesh with the factory install. what exactly are the dimensions you are working with? i'll check right now, but i know i have eq/drivers in mini-form of their time, looks about the size of what would be the 8-track receptacle. first thing that came to mind with this project was a good 'ole eq/line driver. i could have swore i had more older radios of that style, but might have tossed most of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!