Arduino Car Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Opening up an old thread here but this is something I am working on now for my Honda Pilot.

I am using the TDA4719 because it has four channel output + subwoofer from any one of three stereo inputs.

Prototyped using oshpark as well (and agree they are amazing).

See pictures and progress here:
https://www.facebook.com/ArduinoAudio?focus_composer=true&ref_type=bookmark
I will post some pictures here once I make some progress on the install.

I have it working on my desk now and audio quality is great.

Controlling with an Arduino and have an LCD display.

I have some more boards (built and tested) if anyone is interested?

Dan

that came out much better than anticipated.

Now, you need a VFD display, and a tinted window so you dont see the electronics. ;-)

Next thing you need is one of those cheapie A2DP bluetooth modules, and pair your phone up to it for pandora, etc..

Then, you can even had an A2DP output device, and stream to a bluetooth amplifier.

I really wanted a VFD, but there's none small enough to fit between the buttons. I could have layered it behind the button PCB, but I didn't want the display too sunken in, making it obscured when viewed at an angle.

But yes, Bluetooth is something I'd love to add at some point. Either that or SiriusXM... but I'd want to share my code, which would probably mean getting sued :(

Edit: I forgot to mention, there is actually an acrylic screen in front of that display, but it's clear. I want to get some kind of tinted film to put on one side. I'm not sure how well that ill hide the electronics, but those LEDs can go very bright.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure SiriusXM only gives the RS232 Serial Protocol to stereo manufacturers after they sign a non-disclosure form.

They're afraid people will write programs to record and name the tracks/shows etc

It already happened with the last protocol.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to say, the display opening is 57 x 11.7 mm

Last edited:
I have one with the pixel display window of 57 by 8.5mm

But the overall glass size is 84x19.

its a GU144x16d-k610A2. Might be able to pull a datasheet and get a spec.

The newer version is the GU144X16D-7053B which is serial based and has an Arduino-based library, has the same dimensions. The one I have is a parallel older version.

Last edited:
I actually have two 7053Bs here. I can let one go if you think you can use it.

Glass size doesnt really matter, because the visible pixel area is within your window. The display would just sit behind the main PCB, etc... kind of like the way you have it now. yea sure it will be recessed a little bit, but eh...

Also, if you go to noritake-vfd.com, they offer most of their products at sample prices, much cheaper than the regular distributors.

every great once in awhile, they will throw up a free sample. but its few and far between when they run those specials. Now that more people is figuring out that site exists, it goes quick.

YouTube Demo Video added!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjDEkCFa69Q

I forgot to demo the volume. It brings up a bar just like the "Brightness" setting when you turn the volume knob.

I also took a wider shot in the car.
2014-12-12%2001.jpg

Thanks!

There's a few tiny annoyances still:

1: The display is clear, not tinted like I would have preferred
I've spoken to frontpanelexpress.com and they say they can do different coloured perspex, even if it's not listed in their design software.

2: The silver paint is wearing off the square buttons
I've already recreated a model for 3D printing in polished nickel via shapeways.com

3: My car has 4 speakers, but I'm using a cheap 2-channel amp
Eventually I'll buy a better quality, 4-channel amp.

This will all be a little while away though. I have some expensive things to take care of in real life first.

Hi Andrew,

could you change your code for me, i just need a knob with volume / input / bass / mid / treble / gain and second mode with FM on-off / Tune Up - down.

and one button for off ie is all mute.

no presets but save all last value in eprom. display would be 16 x 2 LCD.

please let me know if you could update it so.. it would be great as i m not into coding , m good with creating PCB Component Library .. so i would be really happy if you could build it for me.. only one thing is i'd need the Audio chip to be TDA7439. its better than PT2314, you may try it tooo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.