phoenix gold zx600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have one of these with a shot power supply the fets are ndp7060 what gate resistors to use in this amp? the ones in there are very faded.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 103
33 ohm 1/4 watt fuse resistor. You should only use a fuse type resistor to replace them if they have gone open or up in value. it's part of PG's protection for the amps circuit board, and the gate drivers, so it does not burn up when the fets fail and if you use carbon of standard metal film they will hold too long on high current and damage the PC board traces and what not.
You should be able to find the fuse type resistors at any of the bigger name companies that carry commercial and home repair parts, since most home gear uses these same type resistors in all the amps stages for fire protection. PG built there gear to a higher standard them most other car amp companies, and used these as fire protection just like home and commercial gear do. Hope this helps some...:)

PG did this in all of their Oregon based US made car amps.

I have seen a $2000.00 car amp <offshore made of course> become a useless door stop because the gate resistors burned up on Fet failure toasting the gate drivers along with them to the point of a half dollar sized whole being burned into the PC Board where the gate drivers once stood before they burned up the card so bad it was unrepairable by conventional means....Sad , very sad to see a investment like that go away because of some 2 cent resistors, and the short sightedness of a economical offshore designer that has no real world experience designing a durable product for everyday use....They could have at least used current limits on the gate drivers to protect the board from becoming a Webber in your trunk...Enjoy your US made products, they were well thought out in many cases...:(

are there any common transistors to use in place of MJE210G?

The MJE200 and MJE210 gate drivers are fairly common, are you having trouble locating them? I use only exact parts so I don't know of a tested usable replacement for these. I am sure there are other MJE devices in the same series that would be compatible though, and BD139 and BD140 might give favorable results also if you some of those around.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.