Rockford Fosgate Punch 360a2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 04:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rockford Fosgate Punch 360a2

Hello everyone.

I have a Punch 360a2 board number PC-2036-C

The power supply and both channels were defective.

I repaired the power supply and all is well.
I repaired the right channel and all is well with that as well.

The left chanel is still defective. I replaced all the outputs, the gate resistors, the source resistors, and a few smd transistors and diodes that were burned.

The left channel has no DC present but it will not bias and only produces the top half of the waveform.

Any ideas where to look next?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 26th July 2012, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you lift the diode (D104) that allows the protection circuit to clamp the bottom half of the output?
Old 26th July 2012, 07:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

D104 was replaced with a new component, but I did not lift it to see if the channel produces the bottom half of the waveform.

Shall I lift it and view the signal through the scope to see if it does?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 26th July 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Lifting the diode will allow the audio circuit to operate without the protection circuit. If the audio circuit works perfectly without the diode in the circuit, you know that the fault is almost certainly with the protection circuit components.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lifting D104 allows the amp to produce a clean upper and lower waveform.

I already replaced all the smd diodes and transistors in that channel cause a few were burned. Did I miss something????
Old 29th July 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Double-check the 0.1 ohm resistors. If they're well out of tolerance, the amp will clip the output when driving a load.

If those are OK, double-check the transistors in that part of the protection circuit to confirm that there are no bad solder connections, no bridges and all of the transistors are the right ones for each location.
Old 29th July 2012, 03:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Double check all of the resistors in that section, a 500a2 I worked on had one slightly out of tolerance which caused the same issue you are seeing.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

All of the source resistors are new and within tolerance.

I guess I will start checking all the smd resistors in that channel as brandes.cm has suggested?
Old 4th September 2012, 02:56 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK getting back to this amp after catching up on lots of repairs and bringing it back to the top. Lifting D104 allows the left channel to bias and produce the upper and lower half of the waveform. It also produces clean output on the scope and with a load to a speaker.

As I already stated I replaced every smd transistor and diode in the channel due to several being burnt. I have verified they are all in the correct spot. All of the 0.1 ohm source resistors are new and within tolerance. I have checked alot of the smd resistors and they seem OK.

Any ideas where to go next?
Old 4th September 2012, 05:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Solder the resistor back into the circuit and start desoldering the next transistors in line going towards the 0.1 ohm source resistors. Do this one at a time, reinstalling the one that has previously been removed. At what point does the amp no longer produce clean audio?

Hide this!Advertise here!