focal fp 2.150 power, no sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a focal fp 2.150 amp that powers up but has no sound. It is not in protect mode. Found a shorted power trans and r&r it. everything looks good but no sound. Has voltage going to all transistors. 46volts pos and 46 neg.. ran a signal into it but without a road map i am shooting in the dark.:confused::confused::confused:

ok hope this works. this is a picture before I did anything. Just popped the top to see if anything was BBQ'd. The only thing I found make a long story short was a shorted transistor. TIP35D which i r&r'd.

Someone else has been here before me. rrrrr. What a mess.

Attachments

• 2012-07-18_12-19-02_815.jpg
    2012-07-18_12-19-02_815.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 112
There may be significant damage to the drive circuit and possibly to the protection circuit. Most DC offset protection circuits shut the power supply down so that no significant DC can be driven into the speakers.

Did you check the emitter resistors?

Did you check the other output transistors in the circuit to see if they were open?

The board seems to have some discoloration around some of the drive components. All of the transistors in that area need to be checked.

Ok. The amp powers up. Not into protection. Has voltage to all the drivers. Now you may have something on damage to the driver circuit. the discoloration you were seeing is flux from the person/s who were in this thing before me. Who ever worked on this amp instead of unsoldering the drivers they just cut the legs and resoldered them back together. Lazy to me, guess I do it the old way. Guessing that they found one driver that was shorted and just didn't remove it just left it cut. that was how i found the dc voltage on the speaker terminals. Gotta love fixin other peoples screw ups just to get to square 1. I do have this same amp in new in the box that i could use for referance.

I can not seem to locate these suface mount transistors anywhere on the internet. Could someone lead me in the right direction. I have traced input signal to these. Using my better judgement and without a schematic I am guessing that this is the pre-amp. There is no signal past these. Not really sure. But Also not real sure why this would keep both channels from working. can't find anything wrong with the other side. The emitter resistors check out on both channels.

Attachments

• bad trans focal 2150.jpg
    bad trans focal 2150.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.