Best 3" LOUD mids for dash in a 4 way active setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a new dash midrange to replace my current 2" Vifa NE65W, something with a little more oomph.

My setup
JL HD900/5 and JBL MS-8 (running the tweets), 4-way active.
2x6.5" CDT M6+ subs in back
2x6.5" Polk woofers in doors
2x2" Vifa NE65W mids in dash
2x1" Seas Neos in A-pillars

What I want in order of priority
  1. Plays LOUD without distortion (req partly due to the fact that I have a convertible)
  2. Good ~infinite baffle performance (no sealed box)
  3. Good off axis response
  4. Can be crossed reasonably low
  5. Low price ;)
The Legatia L3, Peerless and FR88's have been recommendedm currently I'd lean towards the FR's. Any input on this?

I've got Vifa TG9FD-10-04 in my 4 way set up and they sound pretty good off axis in mine. Not too sure if they are any good to you as they are 3.5".

Most sensitive I've found are the Tang Band W3-315E which are 87dB/W. Those founteks are 2dB less sensitive than the vifas and have the same power handling so are likely to be quieter. You'll want the most sensitive speakers that you can get if you want loud.

Well that's why I said "reasonably", perhaps I should have said relatively ;)

So to figure out how loud it will go, I guess we need a db/watt RMS measure! I have more than enough power to drive them though.

The Faitals look great with 91 db sensitivity and 20w RMS power handling, only problem is the price at $45/each, guessing they're better value than .

Then again, my current Vifa's don't look that much worse on paper:

Vifa NE65W-04 2" Full Range Woofer

Specifications: • Power handling: 20 watts RMS/40 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Le: 0.04 mH • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3.8 ohms • Frequency range: 80-15,000 Hz • Fs: 97 Hz • SPL: 86.3 2.83V/1m • Vas: 0.04 cu. ft. • Qms: 10.7 • Qes: 0.75 • Qts: 0.70 • Xmax: 1.65 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter 2.56", Cutout diameter 1.85", Depth 1.5".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.