JL Audio 300/4 Current Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 03:58 AM   #1
kds9591 is offline kds9591  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JL Audio 300/4 Current Problem

Just going to throw this out there to see if anyone else has seen this problem with a JL Audio 300/4 amp.

What the problem is the amp will go to mute mode while increasing the input signal once the amp current rises above approx. 5 amps. I tried different loads on the outputs 2,4,8 ohms while monitoring the current with the same result. So I know it is not voltage related. Never seen this type of problem before.

Any clues, hunches, where to start looking?
Old 26th June 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you drive/load each channel individually, do all cause the same problem?

Are you monitoring the DC supply voltage (measuring directly across the terminal block on the amp) while slowly increasing the input level (driving it with a sine wave)?
Old 26th June 2012, 10:11 PM   #3
kds9591 is offline kds9591  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
If you drive/load each channel individually, do all cause the same problem?

Are you monitoring the DC supply voltage (measuring directly across the terminal block on the amp) while slowly increasing the input level (driving it with a sine wave)?
Thanks for your advice Perry. I had just repaired the amp the day before and tested it with a 2 ohm load on each output and it worked fine. I finished putting the amp back together last night and tested it again and had the current limit problem so naturally I assumed it must be related to reassembling- disturbed a bad solder joint, hairline trace crack, component leads touching etc.

I monitored the voltage and low and behold the voltage dropped to under 11 volts around 5 amps current draw. All it was was one lead had worked slightly loose on the power source. Had the current problem appeared before the amp was put back together checking the voltage and power leads would be the first thing checked. Just a bad coincidence. Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!