Orion HS 2.50 Help Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I acquired this amp cheap and got home to try it out, what I found was one side sounded distorted while the other sounded fine.

What I did next was opened it up and found 4 resistors burned. In my haste to fix it by myself I replaced the resistors. The amp now draws a high amount of current when remote is powered. (enough to light a 12v headlight when placed in series with B+) So I replaced the L7815cv, 2x 2N6488 & 2N6491 and the FEP16CT just because my simple troubleshooting showed that the "bad" side didnt match the good one when testing.

Now I have an amp that would no doubt keep blowing fuses. I am unsure what to check next.

Perry, I did order your guide. It is downloading as I type this.

Thanks for any support/suggestions.

Attachments

• photohs250.JPG
    photohs250.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 62
  • photohs250_1.JPG
    photohs250_1.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 56
I've had a few of the hott set up versions and liked the board layout. One had a similar problem and it was caused by a bad driver. Very simple design, a couple of the ones that drove the outputs went bad. Check all of the outputs to see if any are shorted, then check their drivers. The power supply side should be ok if you were getting clean audio out of one channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.