Orion 4100GX - right channel out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You stated that the amp was drawing 15 amp from the power supply. Does the other half of the amp work properly (no excessive current draw)?

You stated that the amp was drawing 15 amps of current. Does the defective side draw 15 amps when it's connected by itself?

You stated that there was no voltage on the transformer. Was it drawing excessive current when you measured the voltage?

Where, on the transformer, did you place your probe?

The right half of the amp does work correctly, no excessive current draw and it passes through a sine wave perfectly.

The defective side by itself does draw excessive current. Note that the 15A is just past on the current control setting of my power supply.

It was drawing excessive current when I measured voltage to the transformer. I would test one point at a time and leave the amp running for <5sec each point. When measuring from the input center tap of the transformer, I saw voltage on the top side, but not the bottom.

In picture 147 I measured ~5VAC. In picture 205 I measured ~0. I am not sure how the transformer is wired so I do not know if this information is valid.

Note that the power supply was current controlled so it was only operating from ~5VDC.

Attachments

• 20121016_173147.jpg
    20121016_173147.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20121016_173205.jpg
    20121016_173205.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 58
I found 1 of the three shorted. I went ahead and removed all three and am noticing a short between where the collector and emitter pins would go. I made sure my output wires are not touching and am not sure what else in this part of the circuit would be causing the short; I did make sure there aren't any solder bridges.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.