ADS P840

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When trying to power the amp up it will draw excessive current..

With the fets out i get a nice square wave on all gate pads..

I removed the rectifiers to disable the output section..

All drivers and fets test good in this amp with the rectifiers out when i try powering it up it draws 60 amps of current..

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It would be better if you could confirm that one is shorted. Did you try twisting it to see if the current draw changed?

I know it's not easy but if you are considering making a new transformer (which may be even more difficult), you should pull one of the other transformers and see if the problem follows the transformer.

This amp only has 1 transformer in it..

Not sure if this is orginal or not but it looks like someone tryed using spray glue on this transformer and i cant twist it at all . The windings are glued tightly to the core..

Anything else i could check?

Attachments

• ADS.JPG
    ADS.JPG
    660.3 KB · Views: 71
Load them with a 1k resistor first from gate to drain. Make sure that the drive signal goes to within 1v of ground and that the dive signal doesn't slope too much near ground. Then from gate to source. Make sure that the drive signal swings at least 5v above ground (should swing to about 10v) and is relatively flat across the top.

Scope settings are 5 us .5 volts div

First pic is the gate signal with the drivers not loaded down

2nd pic is the gate signal with the drivers loaded down from gate to drain

3rd pic is with them loaded down gate to sourc

Attachments

• ADS.JPG
    ADS.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 51
  • ADS1.JPG
    ADS1.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ADS2.JPG
    ADS2.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.