Pioneer DEH-P800PRS noise and pops - pico fuse repaired. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
WLDock is offline WLDock  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer DEH-P800PRS noise and pops - pico fuse repaired.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P800PRS that had a blown pico fuse. The fuse was removed and an external fuse holder/fuse was added. The deck seemed to play fine afterwards connected to an amplifier via the low level RCA's but I noticed that the back of the unit was getting really warm. It appears that some of the high level speaker output leads were touching. This was corrected and the deck plays but there is faint hiss and distortion noise when using the low level RCA's. Also, there are loud pops when turning the volume all the way down and also when adjusting the EQ function and other functions. However, when using the high level speaker outputs I did not hear this noise.

My guess is that the output IC might be damaged but am I missing something else? Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks
Walt
Old 4th June 2012, 03:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the heatsink is still getting hot with no shorted wires and no speakers connected, it's likely defective.

If the 12v lead that contacted the shields and blew the fuse also touched the center conductor, it likely caused the muting transistors to fail. Sometimes, only one pair of muting transistors fails so you may want to try a different set of RCA outputs to see if they also pop.

The muting transistors are generally tiny 6 legged ICs about 1/8" wide near the RCA jacks.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Perry,
I was hoping you would reply. After further investigating and testing the deck with another amp, it appears the deck is fine and is not the cause. My Genesis SIII Four Channel took the hit and has noise and is popping! Urgh!!! I wanted to scream! I have yet to get this amp in the car. I had the Amp Doctor, Gordon from former Genesis UK recondition the amp. He upgraded the preamp section, class-A biased the output with a distortion analyzer, etc., etc. I'm a bit upset because I was repairing the deck for someone I sold it to. The deck was fine when I sold it but somehow it had a blown pico fuse after the guy installed it. I did not realize that the speaker leads were taped together and touching until I realized how hot the back of the deck was getting. It was playing fine through it all.

Nevertheless, I guess Gordon has a contact here in the US that can do work for him so I need to the amp looked at.

Walt
Old 6th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Perry, I guess you are Gordon's contact here in the States...not a suprise. He thinks its the input grounding resistors. So, I will be in contact by email to talk about sending this in to you for repair. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!