Rockford Fosgate T10001bd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rockford Fosgate T10001bd

Hi All!

I'm working on a Rockford Fosgate T10001bd (red, 2004, PC-5445-C, if that helps). I've already run through the basics:
  • reworked suspect solder joints, all transistors and coils too
  • caps look good, esr readings ok
  • all transistors and diodes tested ok
I'm currently using a series light bulb to detect (and protect from) over current conditions. Connecting power to 12 volt, all good. Power to remote, and current draw steadily increases until the bulb is well lit. Knowing (and rechecking) the transistors are good, I metered the gates of the transistors and found about 4 volts. Then I metered the driver outputs of the SG3526 chip, and found a pretty stable, 4.5 volts. So, I tested the 'totem pole output transistors' built into the chip' and they appear to be intact. Then I removed R26 and R27 (which carry the pulses from the SG3526 to the driver transistors) , powered up and checked the chips outputs again, still a steady 4 volts. I tried feeding the driver transistors by hand (maybe 10hz ) and was able to meter a small voltage at the rectifiers, so it appears that the drivers, choppers, transformer and rectifiers are ok. (I don't have a scope or a function generator, yet...)

So, looking at the SG3526 chip. I monitored the outputs while testing RESET and SHUTDOWN and the outputs dropped to 0 as expected. But there appears to be no waveform. The datasheet says a triangle wave should be available at pin 10, but I don't have a scope, so... (I have an old pc I use as a sound card scope but thats a pain to set up and is somewhat limited).

So, question one:
Is it more likely the chip has failed, or is it possible that the BD/SYNC circuitry is forcing the amp to stop on a high pulse and stick there?

I tried pulling R65 (which connects the sync circuit to pin 12 SYNC) which should allow the amp to 'free-run' using its own oscillator - if I am reading the datasheet right... but no joy.

So I guess I could just order the chip and try it, but I'd like to make sure first. I was thinking I might throw together a simple function generator to feed the drivers and thus power it up... Hence question two:
What do I need - a triangle wave generator?

Any and all thoughts and suggestions much appreciated....
Old 26th May 2012, 08:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What was the problem in the vehicle?
Old 27th May 2012, 01:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oops, sorry frustration... Amp doesnt power on, pulls massive current. With the meter I find no LV or HV at the powersupply rectifiers. I've tested all transistors, diodes and most resistors, and there is no visible damage. At 'Remote On' the gates of Q5,Q6,Q7,Q8,Q9,Q11 all jump to ~3.5 volts and stay there. Ok, progress, switching. Bad connetion. Gotta wait for my car battery to recharge.
Old 29th May 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

ok, my meter was dying, found 2 bad IRFP3415, removed 4pack, bent pins of bad ones back, then tacked on good two, tested, has output now, some distortion, perhaps because of missing fets, or low battery. Thanks again for your help Guys!

Hide this!Advertise here!