2sj174 / 2sk1296 substitution (Sony XM-5046 / Denon DCA ...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi @ all

Has anyone ever found a suitable substitution for those mosfet devices ? I tried the IRF540 and 9540 in some applications already with moderate success. i know the original mosfets are available but the price is just too high and in most cases the part prices make a repair worthless.

Right now I have a broken Sony XM-5046 4 channel amp. The Service Manual is quite different from the actual amp on my bench, there must have been two versions of this amp around. The service manual states IRF devices, but in this amp all channels are using the 2SJ & 2SK type mosfets, also the board design looks a bit different.

Anyways, Replacing the faulty mosfets with the IRF - types lets me power up the amp and there is output, but the idle current is not adjustable and at a certain level the output signal starts getting flickering.

If I install 2SJ & 2SK devices in that channel I can adjust idle current and the channel can be driven all they way up even with a 1 ohm load. So with the "stock" devices the channel works fine.

I dont have irf530 and 9530 in stock but before I buy those I´d like to ask if anyone has ever tried using them, I know the 2SJ&2SK devises are also used in the Denon DCA - amp series.

Thanks,

Stephan

The 2SJ/2SK devices are Lateral mosfets, which are very different in design from all the IRF, BUZ devices which are HEXFET mosfets.

with a lot of tinkering you can get them to work, but more unstable. not for car use!

there's a few substitutes available, if you search in the Solid State forum for Lateral Mosfets, you can get some ideas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.