thinking to buy a set of JBL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
febulo is offline febulo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default thinking to buy a set of JBL

hi
please advice on this set of JBL speakers and amp
  • JBL GTO5355 6-channel amplifier (4x55W RMS + 225W RMS for sub)
  • JBL GT5-12 12" 1100W subwoofers
  • JBL GTO938 300W 6x9 speakers
  • JBL GTO6508c 16.5cm components
is that good on sound quality??

thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 06:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

At the very least, you should go listen to the 6x9s and the components. They'll vary in sound quality more than any of the other components you listed.
Old 17th May 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did you buy this yet?

IMO ditch the 6x9s and spend some more on the front speakers and/or deadening material for the front doors.

What car is it for?
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:02 AM   #4
febulo is offline febulo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

not yet, BMW 1er F20 i am still waiting for my car.
This set of JBL is not expensive only GBP300, but one thing i do concern is the speaker wont fit into original speaker place and it will make lot of holes to fit the speaker in.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Right, in that case you're set to fail!

Pretty much all of the BMW range run a "3-WAY" front stage:
Tweeters in the a-pillar/window corner (depending on option box ticked)
4"/10cm mids in the doors (only thing you'll defo get!)
1 or two 6.5" midbass under the front seat (depending on option box ticked)

And either a pair of 4" or pair of 4" +tweeters for the rear.

To up-grade the system I have seen some half assed efforts with kits cobbled together from 4" comps that fit and the Earthquake SW8 subwoofers under the seats, but I would recommend these Jehnert kits: Produkte Doorboards Soundsysteme | Bmw | 1er | Bmw 1er E81e82e88 Cabrio Coupe 3 Turer 9 15100 %C2%BBflat Line%C2%AB Woofer System | Jehnert Sound Design Automotive they're 595.00 for the kit and you can run them passively off a big amp, Quasi active off a 4ch or fully active.

I've sold car audio for 13years, I've been fitting Jehnert set ups for around 10 of those-everyone who has had one has loved them. They can, and do, go into a lot more depth when designing the system for the car-the vehicle's acoustics are taken into acount when choosing drivers and crossover points/slopes etc.

The Earthquake alternatives will cost you a little less but aren't a good choice: the SWS8 is a subwoofer, not a midbass, so it will give good bass but will crossover poorly with your mids. Mids wise there isn't lots of room so the Focal 100VRs are the common choice-they're 250, the SWS8s are 145 each, so you're looking at 540.00 and have a system that is harder to install as you have to make your own brackets and harder to set up as the equipment isn't matched.

Get the Jehnerts, a big 2ch and a sub/amp for the lowest octave and you're hot to trot. Otherwise if you're after better SQ invest in a processor and a 6ch amp and go active with the front end, will give better stage and imaging-at the cost of a more difficult install and more parts cost.

Last edited by TheBaronGroog; 22nd May 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!