thinking to buy a set of JBL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, in that case you're set to fail!

Pretty much all of the BMW range run a "3-WAY" front stage:
Tweeters in the a-pillar/window corner (depending on option box ticked)
4"/10cm mids in the doors (only thing you'll defo get!)
1 or two 6.5" midbass under the front seat (depending on option box ticked)

And either a pair of 4" or pair of 4" +tweeters for the rear.

To up-grade the system I have seen some half assed efforts with kits cobbled together from 4" comps that fit and the Earthquake SW8 subwoofers under the seats, but I would recommend these Jehnert kits: Produkte Doorboards Soundsysteme | Bmw | 1er | Bmw 1er E81e82e88 Cabrio Coupe 3 Turer 9 15100 %C2%BBflat Line%C2%AB Woofer System | Jehnert Sound Design Automotive they're £595.00 for the kit and you can run them passively off a big amp, Quasi active off a 4ch or fully active.

I've sold car audio for 13years, I've been fitting Jehnert set ups for around 10 of those-everyone who has had one has loved them. They can, and do, go into a lot more depth when designing the system for the car-the vehicle's acoustics are taken into acount when choosing drivers and crossover points/slopes etc.

The Earthquake alternatives will cost you a little less but aren't a good choice: the SWS8 is a subwoofer, not a midbass, so it will give good bass but will crossover poorly with your mids. Mids wise there isn't lots of room so the Focal 100VRs are the common choice-they're £250, the SWS8s are £145 each, so you're looking at £540.00 and have a system that is harder to install as you have to make your own brackets and harder to set up as the equipment isn't matched.

Get the Jehnerts, a big 2ch and a sub/amp for the lowest octave and you're hot to trot. Otherwise if you're after better SQ invest in a processor and a 6ch amp and go active with the front end, will give better stage and imaging-at the cost of a more difficult install and more parts cost.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.