phoenix gold xenon 600.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have fixed two of those.

Not sure on that mod, but people mod them to output full power regardless of the load on the output. I may have some pictures when this mod was done, all of the supply fets are cooked and the aluminum blocks used to hold the fets in place are melted.

Logic says, if you want to run one ohm buy an amp capable of it.

The 600.1 was rated for 4 to 1 ohms with its protection circuitry working properly and not bypassed by a time delay relay. All these mono block Xenon amps had a circuit called XE-load and it measured the load connected when the amp was first turned on, and it aligned itself to operate proper at a maximum power of its rated watts at ANY load. JL also was rated the same way but it used a current loop sensor on the supply primary toroid windings to tell the supply to limit power at the factory set maximum. PG was competing hard against JL when these were new. The xenon 600.1 outputted 600 watts into any load from 4 to 1 ohms with its safety circuitry working properly and not bypassed.

The amp will run 1 ohm if you don't bypass the power limiting circuitry. The link to the now close Soundbuggy forum does not work any longer. The Soundbuggy forum was shutdown after the phoenix Phorum was setup and a mass exodus occurred to the phoenix. I was there. If you need tech help with the xenon line let me know, I will be glad to help as much as possible. The leak of the XE-load bypass happened many years ago, again I was there when it happened. it was supposed to stay private in a non-public part of the phoenix Phorum but that was a pipe dream lol..
Both the 400 and the 600 are half bridge output designs so any two 400's and or any two 600's can be bridged together to double power responsibly. But if you follow the instructions of the safety circuitry bypass then you must also realize that any hope of the amp being reliable will go out the window with the desire to push the amp to its maximum output capability of it power supply. IIRC the 400's was rate at 1800 watts two units bridged and safety's bypassed and two 600's bridged and bypassed was rated over 2400 watts. Which was the maximum of each units switching power supply were capable of delivering.
They PG also made the 1200.1 and I even know the proud owner of the single prototype xenon 2000.1. The 1200's were a fairly good amp for the most part, but they were not bridgeable like the 600 and 400 were due to the 1200 being a full H bridge design internally. The 1200's could still be run into dual voice coil speakers as a bridge one amp per voice coil for 1200 X 2 plus what ever you could get with the XE-load bypassed.

Are they a good amp??? For what they were being sold for at the end of production run, and the product quality inside I would say you got a bargain when looking at the bang for the buck margins. CAn you blow them up well past any possible reasonable repair, or course you can especially with the XE-loads bypassed.
Eric < aka Dr Fosgate > should not have released the xe-load bypass info on his web-site especially since he got it from the Phoenix but that's another story for another day...:mad:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.