Mutant amp problems NEED HELP please! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Mutant amp problems NEED HELP please!

hiya i bought a sub and amp off my friend the sub is pretty decent for the amount i bought it for but there is a problem with distortion from the amp i checked all my wiring and i even opened the amp to see if there was any burnt out components or anything loose but there was nothing. it sounds like theres bass coming out but also a crackling sound as well. i have tried a different sub but its the same. has anyone had the same problem or know how to fix it? im not really sure about the model of the amp because i didnt get it with any manuals but i managed to find a site thats selling the same one if you want to see what it looks like follow the link below:
Mutant MTEN12SBP - 12" Sub bass deal - Audio Visual World-

thanks for your time
Old 17th April 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
When the amplifier must "amplify" a deep bass note, it requieres large currents into the speaker, and also in power lines. So, if a small resistance in the input wiring can cause a sudden voltage drop at the amp power lines causing distortion. So, check input wiring.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

how loud is it before distortion? that amp should only be about 150watts or less, which is probably just barely enough to fill in with your factory speakers on head unit power.

if the sub is dual voice coil, how is it wired?

does the amp have a minimum impeedance labeled anywhere? if it is running 4ohms, and rated for 2, you would see less, likely 75-100rms. rated for 1(unlikely) would be only feeding the sub somewhere around 50-75

did the amp work for him?

if you opened it to check the internals, could you post pictures of the internals?
Old 24th April 2012, 11:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Seeing the product I guess you're in the UK-if in the mids I'm in birmingham and run a car audio shop-pm me for details and we'll have a look at it for you.

Hide this!Advertise here!