DC Offset - ppi a600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the processing of replacing all 16 output transistors of this amp with the newer npn,pnp replacements. Then I plan on building a couple of makeshift clamp rails out of angle aluminum.

Can anyone correct me on what I believe is the next step of checking the offset?

Step 1: apply jumpers to some pins to defeat bias (not sure exactly what this means, where the jumpers are located, or how many there should be)

Step 2: Power up amp with no RCA inputs connected, let idle for 10 minutes, and measure each speaker output for mV of DC voltage.

Step 3: Turn adjustment pots until close to 0mV on each channel.(again, not sure exactly where these are, so any photos would help)

Here are an internal pic of mine from the speaker output end of things:

143zwjl.jpg

The pots located in front of the ceramic modules are the bias adjustment pots and the pots located up front near the RCAs are your DC offset adjustments.

VR-4 and VR-5 are the DC offset adjustments.

Jumpers are located in front of the bias pots close to the edge of the PC board just center of the outputs.

I don't use the bias shut down pins when I align a PPI amp. I have done it this way for many years without incident. It does require that you do a bit of back and forth meter readings to see if they have caused any drift of the bias while adjusting the DC offsets as low as possible. :)

I leave the bias turned on so that the forward bias of the outputs is intact so I get the true DC offset on the output. I validate the forward bias before I adjust the DC offsets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.