Alpine CDA 7850 No Display

Hi My car stereo display failed when I started my Car but it is functioning without any problem.CD ,Radio,front panel Buttons ,Remote everything is working .But no Display.Just want to figure out is the problem in fuse in the Car or with Car Head unit or Unit face plate.Please Suggest some solution.

Advance thanks for your Support.

Sriram

NO LIGHT

May Be I need to add this.The Display and also the LED light for the Front panel keys are also not working .
There is no Sign of Light and It is Totally blind .I guess the Voltage going to the LED circuit might be problem but could not figure out the Correct Circuit.

I vote for the ribbon as well.I fixed quite a few Alpines in the past and those with the tilt face tend to have bad ribbons -mostly the first or the second pin right to left as those are the thicker ones -most likely power/ground .In mine they will break right by the connector and won't be visible till the cable is removed from the unit completely

Thanks for your reply.I doubt that if the ribbon cable is the problem then how could the face plate buttons work with tone.May be separate power for Display and buttons.
Also one more thing I observed.When we eject CD source there will be LED Light behind the face plate when it it got tilted to insert or remove CD.Even that is also not glowing So I doubt on the Ribbon cable
Also can you provide the Pin configuration for the ribbon cable so that I check Voltage with multi meter.

Did you resolve this issue? What was the cause/solution?

I am having the same exact problem with an Alpine CDA-7897.

Retractable phantom face looks completely dead, no lighting at all, but with a flashlight I can see the display is showing time counter of cd or radio stations and buttons beep when depressed.

The ribbon cable on mine seems to be in good condition when disassembled during troubleshooting, but it could've been bad. Maybe I should get a replacement ribbon cable.

Anyone know of a good place to get a replacement ribbon cable for an Alpine CDA-7897 and roughly at what cost?

If I get replacement ribbon cable, how would I go about disassembling the face to access that end of the ribbon going into the back of the face?

Any suggestions, help, recommends?

Thanks

Would be odd that all bulbs go out at same time all at once.

All lighting of display, plus individual pixels of display character are no longer lit, I see characters displaying correctly with a flashlight.

All back light on buttons of the face and indicator lights and power indicator and mp3 indicator light are no longer lit.

I went back and disassembled the unit to take another closer look at the ribbon cable and it looks in good condition.

The ribbon cable entering into the back of the face, I could not access completely as I am not sure as how to disassemble without damaging it or even if I would be able to replace the ribbon as that would require me disassembling the face plate down to pcb to access ribbon release.

Eitherway ribbon looks to be in good condition without cracks or kinks and the one end connected to main board side is also fine.

Everything else on the unit is working fine except this one issue.

Would anyone have a repair manual? Maybe it's power source feeding the face that is in question?

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks

Not odd at all. I cannot speak for that particular alpine, but I have worked on radios where the bulbs are actually wired in series like a christmas tree. One pops, the whole string goes. You might want to take the face apart and check continuity on all the lamps. If they are good, then you can assume circuit problem.

Update:

I was able to borrow a fully functional Alpine CDA-7897 from a friend to troubleshoot my unit. I removed the face off my CDA-7897 and installed it into friends working CDA-7897 and verified that all the leds, backlit buttons and display is working properly. No lights are burnt out and is lit as it should.

So I'm guessing the problem is no power is getting to the lighting (leds, backlights for buttons and display) of the face.

I do not have the know how to proceed further with diagnosing the problem without guidance.

Hope someone can offer assistance or suggestions to resolve the lighting issue as everything else is working perfectly on this unit.

Don't even know if Alpine still services a unit as old as this.

Thanks