Kicker 650.4 in protect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem is with a Kicker ZX 650.4
Hello everyone my name is Mark and I'm a new member here . This will auctually be my first post I was hoping to get acquinted before needing help. But my amp had other ideas. I've spent alot of time reading the info. Mr. Babbin has online and alot of threads on this site. So checking transistors I found a shorted one at (Q312) the rest I thought were OK I removed (Q312) from the board andtried powering up again but it is still in protect. Next I probed the TL494 IC at location U2 and here are the voltages I got.
1; 1.2
2; 3.4
3; 4.7
4; 0
5; 1.5
6; 3.4 then faded to 0
Pins 7 thru 11 were all 0
12; 17.5
13; 5
14; 5
15; 5
16; 0
This is my first attempt at repairing electronic equipment, I've been pretty good over the years at breaking the stuff but I was working then and could afford to get it fixed been out of work for awhile now so I'm hoping I can tackle this with lots of help from you folks. Thanks in advance. Mark L.

ZX650.4 continued

Well I double checked pin 12 on the Tl494 IC it was 17 volts. The way Perry questioned my reading I tried to figure out whats going on . I have it hooked to a battery and a charger, Iturned the charger down 1 notch and the voltage on pin 12came down to 14 and the amp came out of protect.The transistor at ( Q312) is still removed.what other transistors would I need to change also . Would that be my next step. Thank You Mark L

I don't have anything on the ZX, is it the same as the KX (attached)?

Attachments

• IMG_8413x.jpg
    IMG_8413x.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 132
Question on parts needed

Would the second transistor on that channel be (Q 314) and if so when ordering would I ask for a matching pair of 1 tip35c and 1 tip 35c or dose the matching refer to when there are multiples of the same transistor per channel. Is there anything else I should order so my parts are more than the shipping? Thanks Mark L

I can't see the designations in the photo I have but each of the two output transistors for each channel are on either side of the two smaller driver transistors.

There's no matching between the NPN and PNP transistors. You only need to be concerned with matching transistors when where are transistors operating in parallel. That's not the case with the output transistors in this amp.

Perry I just wanted to get back to you and thank you for the help. I had another amp with the same transistors I borrowed the ones needed and the amp is back in the car working like new. But I had to demote it and just use it for midbass . I had almoast forgot how good my ADS amps sound even at 35+years old. I have a few more amps to repair if I run into trouble I'll ask for help here. Until then thanks for all you do here , and that goes for everyone here offering help to others. Later Mark L

kicker trouble again

Well after fixing this amp it was working fine until yesterday. I noticed the left channel cutting out. So I looked in trunk and the amps protect light was flashing it would stop flashing and amp would play fine for awhile and then do it all over again. So I pulled it out where should I begin looking? Thank You for your time. Mark L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.