Best Setup? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2012, 07:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best Setup?

I want to build my system around new subs i bought. I have Dual 12 inch kenwoods 1200 watt peak, 400 watt rms each.

Right now i have a sony xplod amp but its way under powered for these subs. Im thinking about a 4 channel amp and getting beefed up 6x9 speakers, im thinking 3 way.

Im kinda new to this, so with a 4 channel amp, i can hook the speakers up safely to that amp as well as the subs? I dont wanna buy expensive speakers just to blow them on the amp? is it even worth hooking up speakers to the amp? or is the amp just usually for subs?

I read keeping the subs 4 ohm and NOT bridging them to a 2ohm stable amp sounds better, so im gonna keep em 4 ohms, 1 on each channel and then use the other 2 channels for the speakers.
Would 2 way or 3 way or 4way sound better with the subs i have or is just depend on different taste?
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Which sony amp is it? You'd probably be better running it bridged to each sub if not very powerful.

Forget 6x9s, their main advantage over your factory rears is increased bass output-which is no longer needed when you have subs.

Rears in a car are for rear passengers, for you the driver they'll be more detrimental to the sound than beneficial-unless you invest in some very good processors and do an L-R.

Concentrate on your front speakers, they are the most important, and will need to be amped to keep up with your subs or keep the gains on the sub low.

Cross the subs in the 60-80Hz region, below 60Hz you shouldn't be able to locate them and they should blend better with your fronts.

Does your stereo have a HPF? If so turn it on and play with the crossover freqs until your mids play low, but with no distortion-this will depend on driver/amplification/installation. Smaller the driver the higher the crossover freq you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!