Audiophile Motor Home sound set up ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Audiophile Motor Home sound set up ?

Iím about to go native and take time out from contracting by touring the country in a motor home. Iíd like to set up an audiophile quality system, and donít know whether to go for a good car audio/amp/speakers etc or 12v amp / dac /bookshelfís etc. One of the quandaries is that I will be hooked up to main power on some sites , although Iím told there is a limit on amps but not sure how many , Iíll have to look into it, I also have a petrol genny for wild camping and rallies etc. I will play most of my music through J Audio River on my laptop. Iíve used the laptop on a USB connection on my cars sony head unit and it sounds really good, but not that good, but I donít know what the speakers are its A ford ST so I expect they wonít the worst drivers in the world. I think I could put the sony out to a T class DAC and amp Iíve seen 12v @ 25w then connect those to my Kef IQ10ís. The Kefs will be small enough and they have a great setup for brackets that swivel in all directions.
But this is totally out of my experience range so Iíd like some advice please.
Old 20th March 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

They let you do that in the UK??
Can you afford the petrol? Whew!

Anyhow, a bit depends on what ur trying to do.
Be audiophile in the main back area when stopped?
Or in the front driver's and copilot postions while driving?

Very different.

Rented or owned? (drill and blast or not)

They make inverters that turn 12vdc nominal into AC mains voltages.

The biggest problem while driving is road noise. Too much for truly good sound.
In fact I wear ear plugs on any trips over 30mins, because the SPL levels are really way too high in anything but the most expensive and damped cars. There is a ton of subsonic rumble too. Most people are not aware of it. One ends up with the level of the audio way too high in order to get a reasonable S/N over the background.

I prefer the soft earplugs and EQ the carp out of the sound, but it is still lower SPL on my eardrums than without...

Stopped, parked, different game.

Possibly some high sensitivity stuff, or a home built line array would be very good.

_-_-bear
Old 20th March 2012, 02:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

We can go anywhere as long as the National Trust Nazi’s allow us lol .Totally agree Bear, plus its diesel so even more engine noise. I was actually thinking seriously of using my sennheiser wireless head set while driving but I think the Old Bill might see that as an opportunity to extract more of my hard earned money via a fine. They are on list for late night listening anyway. I like the idea of some nice thin line arrays in the corner; I’ve seen some DIY builds so that was an excellent suggestion. Or even running a sound bar style underneath the over cab bed. When you say high sensitivity stuff what do you mean? I would have a inverter on board without hesitation for charging laptops etc, so I suppose I could use my old Marantz P66-SE I’m also fitting extra batteries, for night use.

Oh and I'm buying so drilling and banging is fine..

Last edited by Fivetide; 20th March 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 06:49 PM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

high sensitivity means >96dB/1w/1m

Of course the car sound amps are designed for people to run 2ohm loads...
different game.

I'd hide a decent subwoofer somewhere low, two would be nice. Separate amps.
Then something high eff for the midbass up.

Depends on what you like to listen to, and the sort of sound you prefer, and ur max SPL.

You could get away with single high sensitivity drivers in a TQWT that is built in.

Or maybe a line array of cheapo speakers - here in the USA Parts Express has a pile of them that came out of computer speakers and TV apps probably. Individually they handle nil power, but in a series/parallel array they will both go loud and handle power.

The trick is to find one that you like to listen to - more will just go louder and handle more power, but sound very much the same... a little EQ that does roll off, or even a notch filter is ok, boost is not a good way to go in a power limited situation.

Others may have another take on it...

Oh, you could go nuts and make a left<---> right time delayed array... there was some discussion of this idea in some other speaker thread about 6months or so ago... probably in one of the line array threads... that's a bit over the top but when you mentioned across the bridge...

_-_-bear
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What vehicle is the camper based on?

For driving invest in some decent components, either DIY drivers-but then you have to go active or build crossovers, or some good car drivers-harder to find a cheap option there, most of the cheaper end is geared up for 17yr old who wouldn't know a good stereo if it slapped them in the face, the better stuff can carry a serious price tag! A 4ch amp and a subwoofer.

You could have a separate system for the rear using your home equipment and just run an output from that into the AUX on the stereo to use the sub to compliment the home stuff (use fade on the stereo to fade out the car/front speakers)

The headphones are a good idea for sites, but yes the old bill will stop you if you use them while driving, it is illegal-you can't hear sirens etc (though I always thought this was a BS law-just what exactly do DEAF people hear when a siren is approaching?!)

A friend is a technology freak and has a Yammaha sound bar, meh!

Hide this!Advertise here!