2.5" car speaker - advice please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to these forums and have a relatively small understanding about how to make good audio setups.

I have a 2004 mustang i recently purchased that had a (terribly abused) mach 460 system in it. I replaced the four 5x7s with these, and i have a new deck/amplifier. the only old part left is the four 2.5" inch mid/tweeters which, if they are the same quality as the rest of the old stuff, are pretty bad.

I can't really find speakers this size designed for cars, but i have found a few things that might work better. i don't know exactly what range they should be in, or where is best to buy these kind of speakers. what im considering is something like these:
2" Paper Cone Midrange Tweeter 4 Ohm 289-127
JAMO 20132 2" Paper Cone Tweeter 299-965

2 are mounted in the corner of the door window, and 2 are mounted in the back behind the rear seats. more mach system info here.

I mostly listen to jazz music, and would like to make a really good sounding system. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Hi,

Given :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This won't work :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As its sealed back and a tweeter, not a midrange/tweeter.
And this could :

But there is little to indicate that replacement will be better than stock.

Seems to be ported, seal/stuff the port if you replace the
driver, as that is far more likely to suit the replacement.

rgds, sreten.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-2-fullrange/
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/

Last edited:
I'd consider putting real tweeters in those locations. Maybe visit a few car audio dealers and pick their brains.

Hi, real tweeters are a very bad idea. A mid/treble unit is needed, rgds, sreten.

Appear to be the same 2.5" you find in Chrysler Voyagers and Jeeps. Normally you can replace these with a tweeter and get a better response. IDK if your drivers are run actively or passively (in the Chryslers it's filtered passively with a cap) IIRC with the Chryslers they're crossed around 2k, so most larger format car tweeters should go in ok-check their spec before you buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.