Rockford T30001bd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Blah! Bad day today.

I swapped all op amps for the gain/xover/phase (& double checked all connections). Still had issues. I also noticed that adjusting any of the slide switches caused havoc. Especially the Master/slave switch. Just tapping on the switch caused spikes. I then bypassed the Master & phase switches w/jumpers (using the schematic as a guide). Fired up the amp and at first it idled fine. The audible turn on spike was still present but considerably less noticable. Next step was to adjust the gain pot. The voltage swing was still present, but again, less than before. Things finally took a turn for the worse once the gain was fully adusted..... Once the gain was at max, half of the output stage blew (thanks to Perry's advice in his tutorial, I WAS indeed wearing eye protection!!) along with drivers Q400 & Q401. These are virtually the same EXACT components that had failed before, of which I had prevously repaired and at one point had good audio output. :-/

To make matters worse, somehow this incident has taken out the power supply. even with the output board removed and 12v applied to B+ & Rem, she won't fire up.

This amp was a refurbished unit purchased directly from Rockford and, when it was working, had exactly the same problems I'm describing here (voltage swing w/gain adjustment as well as turn on spike) untill it inevitably failed. So unfortunately even the RF techs didn't properly repair this beast. I'm just not sure if this particular amp is even worth fixing. Either way I need a break (no pun intended) from this guy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.