Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 11:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mazda 3 + Android + MiniDSP = Win??

Alright... Here's the deal. I decided to buy my 2011 Mazda 3i Sport off the lease... It's more of a base model, as I require nothing fancy. Factory audio module, NON-Bose. I hate the thing. Here's what I want to do, keeping in mind that I rarely ever listen to the Radio (Tuner) as the quality is terrible...

1) Remove all factory head unit/audio module components in dash
Click the image to open in full size.

2) Replace all four speakers w/ either four nicer speakers or four nicer speakers + a small (10") sub

3) Hardwire a mount in place of where the factory setup (shown above) is and mount into its place an Android Tablet (I have an extra Asus EEE Transformer 10" Tablet I could use, potentially...) so that, when docked, it will charge and output audio to the car, as most of my listening is either MP3 or Slacker.

I researched the MiniDSP and was wondering if this is possible with this idea and am I able to remove the factory stuff (care less about warranty, honestly, I'm in the automotive business... don't need it) and accomplish my goal... Toss me a few leads, please
Old 15th March 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Personally I've no experience with car pcs, I understand you'd need on for the mini dsp-or maybe you could set it up once and then take the PC out of the car? Don't know that the software is compatible with tabs. There's loads of threads on the mini dsps on diyma, and a car pc sub forum.

Forget the rear speakers and spend as much as you can on the fronts/amp/sub. 10" should be more than enough, boot mounted is the norm, but much better if you can get one into the front footwell if possible. Sealed enclosures work best in car IMO, easier to blend with fronts and compliment the natural gain you experience from the compact cabin size. F3 on my woofer is 74Hz, crossed at 63Hz and cabin gain does the rest-2003 Mini Cooper S. Also don't just look at car audio brands, better results can be had with cheaper drivers from Madisound or PE-especially if you go active.

Deaden the hell out of your doors, rest of the car makes less impact, but if the car is noisy wheel arches and boot floor can help. If it rains loads in your area deaden the roof too, also helps with some wind noise.
Old 17th March 2012, 04:45 AM   #3
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
yea, I would do it, car pc or tablet in your case... or some better HU and DSP of any kind, even minidsp. I have RF360.2 myself and I don't see, how I could listen to music before I had it...it will make even cheap stuff sound great

as for the speakers... I you really are going for good sound, go for some really good speakers up front, some processor for the sound and a 10" sub
most of the music will come from the front anyway, so its important that front system is done the best way it can be possible, that goes for choise of component for front too. Sub will be there, to cover what front won't be able to play... really simple, yet hard to implement, but end result could be truly awesome
Old 18th March 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well in further testing, I used a 3.5mm to RCA cable and went directly into an amp in a friends car and the tablet sounded great. I think I need an amp with which I can do this... problem is I want the two door fronts, disable two door rears and put 6x9's in the rear decklid, and a single 10" sub in rear so I think that for this to happen I need an amp which can take the input like lister above and make it eq into basically 5.1 ... but not sure exactly which amp to look for
Old 18th March 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I always wondered how one would do a clean looking installation on the Mazda3. I have a 2004 and the dash is similar. The tweeters at the top of the doors might be OK, but good units in the lower area, plus a sub, would really help. That said, the "inexpensive" Mazda3 has been the most expensive car I've ever owned. Though I love driving it, everything other than the engine is a POS, with expensive monthly failures of things that should never fail. The zoom-zoom engineering was good, but the parts quality was terrible. At 8 years it's rusting out badly, with the rear quarters pretty much perforated. Unfortunately Mazda is on my "never again" list.
Old 18th March 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mines a 2011 and lease is up in two years so I'm buying it as in 13 more payments we own our Nissan suv. I'm going to trade my Asus Transformer ten inch tablet for a 7" tablet because it will be a cleaner install and i do nice acrylic/le an work so I'll post pics when I start.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'd forget the rear 6x9 and concentrate on the fronts and subwoofer-you don't need the 6x9s bass capabilities with a sub and the HF content will ruin your front stage.

There are some 5 ch that will take 2/4 ch input and split off the sub-I'd need some time to name some though. However a 4ch will power the fronts and a sub, an lots of choice with 2ch in 4ch out-again forget the 6x9. A cheap EQ will give you the outputs you need and 5-10 bands to play with on top. Most also have dual input, so you could always have another source to flick to-DAB/Syrius radio?

Hide this!Advertise here!