Car stereo cheap alternative to big hifi systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have built a gainclone amp to run off +/-12v, to go in my car, when i get one. :dead:

in the mean time, i want to run the amp off 2 12v car batteries. i want to build a simple dual charger, with circuitry to automatically turn the chrager on and off.

i found these circuits, the first is a circuit using the L200 variable voltage regulator, rated at 2A. is this suitable for car batteries?

the second is a circuit by rod elliot which switches the chragher on and off. does anyone have a better/simpler circuit?

my last question concerns the power supply. i have a dual secondary, 25v, 60VA toroid. the ~35vDC i should get from this is ok for the L200, but the heat dessipation will be huge. i was thinking of putting the secondaries in parrallel to get ~17.5v, which is about what i need. this will only leave me with one supply, between the 2 chargers, which means that the 2 batteries have to be seperated from the aplifier before chrarging. whcih method should i use? :confused:

Attachments

• charger.gif
    charger.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 222
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
i build from car amp to home amp

it is alot of work. (i do not build a 12V power supply).

i out the power supply of the amp (12V to 35VRAIL).
i put alot of CAPS that i found in my room. :)
i put a 4X12VAC 250VA (Home light 12v -spot)
and i make 24VAC x2.
it is do in the end 33VDC +/- (1000W power supply).

LINK !! PIC !!

DOWNLOAD A MOVIE OF AMP IN ACTION

it is base on car amp "California Boom 1000W".

now it is on 230V the amp is out a very high power and the sound is very good.

Tamir :)
sorry on my poor englise... it will be batter in soon...

Oh yeah,,, been there done that with the car stereo equip for home audio...

Now we all know what opinions are,, and that everybody has one,, so here is mine,, just remember its my opinion and not meant to step on any audiophilic toes here :D

I unlike probably most people in thig group, enjoy hip hop music, along with (r&b such as RKelly BoyzIIMen etc),,

So my opinion on this subject is very biased,,

I do not listen to much music containing subtle tinkling of chimes or the breath of a cello.
So what i wanted was a really loud clean system in my studio,,(I write and record my own music) that would allow me to hear everything from 20 to 20,, as loud as i wanted to hear it,,,

I do not care about big luggy boxes taking up space,,

I utilized 2 car batteries built in a watertight vented enclosure in the attic, with a low noise medium current battery charger with an auto charge feature that would measure the current level of the batteries and charge if needed,,

for the upper end I used 4 polk audio plates with the liquid cooled 3 inch mids and 1inch p/cell tweeters mounted in the wall in a very unique swivel box design to allow for staging,

i utilized for the mids and mid bass,, a small pair of enclosures each containing 1 fosgate punch 5 1/4 mid 1 punch 8" driver and 1 10" punch,, I found that for the midrange and midbass thump that the harder cones of the fosgates provided better,, all were chambered in the enclosures, with respective crossover points,,,

for the boom down under, i built 1 enclosure and placed in it one 18" kicker solobaric L7,, allowing for a smaller box size,,, and I think better transient response,,, and of course the poly cone, is as quiet as could be,,, the room is quite big,, and sound proof,,

amp wise I used a Kicker ZR1000 amp, for the sub,, with 100hz module,,
for the mid cabinets, I used a pair of older orion 225HCCA amps had laying around,,, and for the tweets,,, I used an old MEI 500w amp,, tuned down of course,,, all was layed out with kicker electronic 3way crossover with sub control,, and an older fultron digital signal processor (DSP)

All of this was wired into my main computer system which i do all of my tracking/sequencing being played out of a sound blaster audigy platinum

the sound is quite stunning,, even from very low volume to oh my god,,, the staging is great,, and with the wide array of sizes of drivers and crossover points it never has any dead spots within the spectrum,,, its not over boomy but its not gonna flatline on the rta,, ill tell ya,, ha ha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.