Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2003, 08:09 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I guess maybe you could parellel a few PC PSU together...one here costs around SGD$5.00 that would be around USD less than $3...cheapie considering the amperage and the price...
Old 9th October 2003, 08:33 AM   #22
Paulr is offline Paulr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Sony Seperates

Hi All,

I rigged up a Sony car cd player at my mom's for her. She already had a mini system that was pretty good, but from the days before CD became that popular. Headunit was (I think) CDX44 line level out only - one of the first car CDs intended as an add on running off a wall wart with some rectification.

NOT hi-fi, but a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new system

She was only going to play Tom Jomes on it anyway, but it's been running without a hitch for about 6 years.

Cheers

Paul
Old 15th October 2003, 08:42 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

i really wouldnt bother using car amps in house
youl never get the power supply you want unless u spend too much getting a high amperage one.

id just go buy a plate amp from partsexpress (they are Very cheap in USA)

along with an Av15 or something similar..
Old 15th October 2003, 10:46 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

nahz...if you knew where to look...you can get a cheapie 100A Switchmode PSU from surplus sales...those for industrial stuff and power your amp with it...
Old 17th October 2003, 09:51 AM   #25
jake is offline jake  Australia
diyAudio Member

if i were actually going to go ahead w/ this project, i would just get an electrician to wire it up for me. and by the way, how could for example, a 500w 5 channel stereo system be run off normal 240v, usually 12 amps, but when we want to use the same setup, only the amp is ruin off 12volts and we for some reason need 90 more amps than with a 240v system?

____
Jake
____
Old 17th October 2003, 10:12 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

maybe he already has the amp but not the PSU...he could mod the amp to accept voltages that are higher though...forget about the SMPSU...and power it straight...
Old 25th October 2003, 09:21 AM   #27
Dj Dfa is offline Dj Dfa  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dj Dfa
Default I need help with car to home stereo conversion

What equations would I use to find out how many amps I need to convert a car amp to a home amp. If i have, say, a 200 watt amplifier, how many amps does the transformer need to supply? I'm a little confused with all this so if anyone could help me it'd be greatly appreciated
Old 25th October 2003, 11:52 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

is 200W the speaker output...or the power needed for the amp to run??? Because no amp is 100% efficient...some power is lost as heat...therefor the wattage the amp actually needs is a bit higher than the wattage put out to the speakers...
Old 2nd November 2003, 06:02 AM   #29
Dj Dfa is offline Dj Dfa  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dj Dfa
I really am not sure. The amp was givin to me as a present. I think it is a 200 watt output. Its advertised as a 200 watt amp. Would the company say its more? I dont know. But lets say its a 400 watt. It really doesnt matter, does it? I'm just wondering what basic physics equations do I need to convert it? Im a freshman in College and I took physics in high school and i know i could have done this back then, but since then i have forgotten the equations. I appreciate any help anyone can supply. thanks li
Old 28th November 2003, 03:21 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hellow,

I have been following this thread with interest. What I would like to know is how a triaxial speaker (say, something as respectable as Sony or Kenwood) would perform when installed in a room of about 140 Cu Ft dimension? I would like to hear from members who have sound empirical knowledge in this matter.

Hide this!Advertise here!