Car stereo cheap alternative to big hifi systems - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2003, 04:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Cummon man...a crummy 1A wun kick it..especially for bass...you need at least 20A or something bigger...seend as much as 100A being used...
Old 5th October 2003, 08:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
Cummon man...a crummy 1A wun kick it..especially for bass...you need at least 20A or something bigger...seend as much as 100A being used...
Rod elliot said his power supply should be able to go up to 500A with enough output devices. Cool :P
Old 6th October 2003, 06:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yeah...and if anyone needs 3055s..gimmi a mail or a PM...I got a few here...
Old 6th October 2003, 08:33 AM   #14
jake is offline jake  Australia
diyAudio Member

why not get an electriction to wire it into your electricity (i.e. wire it into the mains). It shouldnt cost that much really (maybe it does?). just a thought.

____
Jake
____
Old 6th October 2003, 08:49 AM   #15
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default 12 in house?

Hi Jake,

I don't know about your local laws, but here in DK you won't be able to have anyone legally install 12V along with the "ordinary" power line.

Apart from legal issues, it's pointless to make the 12V gneration as part of the house's electrical sytem. The long leads from source to appliance will create immense losses (and be terrible inductances, considering that a lot of car stereo equipment has SMPSU's built in. (especially the power-amp's)

Generally, you will need to be carefull if you use a PC PSU. It can indeed deliver a lot of current (although some types have the most juice at 5V), but powering a SMPS from a SMPS can (in worst case) lead to faults in one or both components, mainly during turn-on and turn-off.
During turn-on, some car power amps draw VERY high peak currents, which may stress or damage your PC PSU.
During turn-off, your PC PSU may have temporary states of high output impedance. The SMPS of a car power amp may not protect against (negative) voltage transients emmitting from the SMPS to the PC PSU. At work I had this problem, where one SMPS fried another one during certain power-down conditions.

Jennice
Old 6th October 2003, 08:59 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have tried shorting a PC smpsu...it will just shut itself off...in worst case senarios...the fuse should be adequate to protect you...if you are feeling unsafe...build a BIG linear PSU~!!!
Old 7th October 2003, 07:48 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

hey guys

car cigarette lighters only provide either around 20A or 60A (I can t remember 4 sure) This is all the stereos are wirred to.

_____
Jake
_____
Old 7th October 2003, 08:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default interesting

Back in the very early 90' s I had fitting transformers installed in the distribution box while still living in Belgium These transfo's took 220 volt AC down to 12 v DC.

I did this in order to install the then very popular 12 volt halogen lighting. it took away the wall warts and even ceiling warts......

worked just fine and installing it was a piece of cake.
Old 7th October 2003, 09:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hey, how about those big halogen light wall warts. They give out 12VAC and 6A. Shouldn't that be enough for a GC monoblock. You could go to IKEA, get the cheapest tracklight for the transformer, throw the hardware in the future use pile, and still have 3 spare bulbs for your current tracklights.

With two of them, each one DC'ed with a bridge into a 317/337 or 78xx/79xx to get a just under +/-12VDC supply?

:)ensen.
Old 9th October 2003, 07:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

is it just me or are ppl in this forum talking about garden lighting. guys, dont fill this room with rubbish, weve already established that we needj around 20-100 AMPs.

____
Jake
____

Hide this!Advertise here!