amp takes frequent breaks!! help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2003, 08:39 PM   #1
rtd2 is offline rtd2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default amp takes frequent breaks!! help

hello new to forum but have read alot of good post.... I recently installed a Alpine MRP-320 amp in my truck. its a 4 channel plus sub. i have (4) 4x6 speakers and a pre-made mtx box with 3 tens. at first system ROCKED AND I HAD NO COMPLAINTS BUT in the last two weeks I've noticed the sound losing power or like the bass has been turned down this happens at different times and it (sound) will return to normal w/o any action on my part... I've checked all my connections ect. could it still be a lose/damaged wire or is it possible problems in the amp or cd player? i'm lost thanks.....
Old 28th September 2003, 06:51 AM   #2
asauer is offline asauer  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to asauer
So you have 7 speakers wired into a 4channel amp? If so, that is your problem right there. Your amp probably has a power-limiting circuit that as the amp is going into clipping it will limit output power to prevent damage to the amp and/or speakers. You have way too many speakers on that amp, at most you should only have 4. You could have 8 wired, but to properly (and evenly) load the amp you should put 2 speakers on each channel. If you have yours wired unevenly, that is your problem.
Old 28th September 2003, 07:01 AM   #3
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

how are the 3x 10" drivers wired to each other? do they have dual voice coils?
Old 29th September 2003, 03:46 AM   #4
rtd2 is offline rtd2  United States
diyAudio Member

no asuaer.... mtx 3 tens are 6ohm speakers i believe? anyway the speakers and box are a pre-built system from mtx...wired together for a total of 4 ohms. alpine amp is 4 channel + sub so i have 2 alpine 4x6 on front channel and same (2 - 4x6) on rear channel .... then amp has a sub channel that the 3 10's are on @ 4 ohms....i think my problem is a bad pair of rca's i.m going to change them out and repost if fixed! thanks to you and audiofreak for the reply!....

Hide this!Advertise here!