Output Filter Inductor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 02:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output Filter Inductor

Im working on an amp and notcied the output filter inductor was broken off the board..

1 lead that solders to the board is still fine.. The other lead snapped in half so now its about 1" to short..

Wondering if anyone knows of a good was to extend the lead about 1" and have it be reliable ?
Old 10th February 2012, 02:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can solder a wire to it to extend it. What's important is securing the body of the inductor so that the leads are no longer stressed when the amp is subjected to vibration.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I dont think the output filter inductor is any good.. I solderd a wire to it resolder it to the board..

Amp powers up with no output and the inductor gets hot so i tryed twisting it somewhat when i did that the amp drew excessive current i twisted it somemore so the amp wouldnt draw current..

Inductor still gets hot would this be caused by a bad inductor or another componet?
Old 10th February 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Inductors get hot when in good working condition. If you can change the current draw by twisting it, it's likely intermittently shorted but it's also possible that you're flexing the board and causing another intermittent problem to show up (although I'd bet on the shorted inductor).

The inductor likely has multiple shorted windings. Adjacent windings shorting don't cause as much current draw as windings that are more turns away from one another.

Hide this!Advertise here!