Closet Survivor Amp vs Used Old Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old School Amp and Eq etc Query...

A question that has been bugging me for awhile, is a 20 year old amp that has been kept in the closet from new and the same model amp that has been gently used for 20 years going to have just as much internal deterioration?

Are collectors of amps who pay a premium for mint unused actually getting anymore for their money than people buying gently used amps?

The only disadvantage on an unused vintage amp is that it never had the first smoke test like a used/known-working unit did. My experience on any electrical device is that if it is going to fail, it's usually within the first few minutes of operation. If it makes it through that and isn't abused it's going to run & run & run.

From a collector's standpoint, unused is always going to command a premium. There are a few things I collect and I pay even more if the item is still in the original box. If that doesn't matter to you and you just want a good user, I'd buy the known working piece, be happy, and enjoy it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.