diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Kicker KX2500.1 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/205920-kicker-kx2500-1-a.html)

brandes.cm 3rd February 2012 08:40 PM

Kicker KX2500.1

Is there a schematic out there or one close to this board. I have it pulsing when trying to power up.

I messed up when ordering power supply fets I got the IRF3205Z rather than IRF3205, hopefully that isn't it.

AKHeathen 4th February 2012 01:36 AM

all i can tell you is that the "z" is comparatively much lower power

brandes.cm 4th February 2012 01:55 AM

Actually they are the same power rating, both limited to 75A based on package and 110Amps based on silicon. Note 5 on the IRF3205 datasheet.

5) Calculated continuous current based on maximum allowable
junction temperature. Package limitation current is 75A.

Perry Babin 4th February 2012 03:07 AM

I've used the Z versions as subs and never had a problem.

Is something in the audio section drawing excessive current?

brandes.cm 4th February 2012 03:25 AM

I pulled the output fets that measured bad in circuit. I see the current shoot up when the supply tries to start. I may have to pull all of the outputs. With a current limit resistor in-line with B+ it still won't start, just pulses the protect LED.

Perry Babin 4th February 2012 04:58 AM

At least pull the FETs out that were in parallel with the bad ones. There may be a defective driver that's over-driving the parallel FETs.

brandes.cm 4th February 2012 10:09 PM

Pulled all outputs, still pulsing. Must be a protection circuit issue in supply.

The gate signal looked fine in the power supply prior to populating the 3205's, maybe one of the transistors is leaky. I have seen that before, signal looks fine under no load. Once a fet is populated it goes bad.

brandes.cm 5th February 2012 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this Kicker's handy work or the last guy to "repair" it. I assume it was the last guy since the whole amp was half-assed. Only replacing the shorted outputs and supply fets then selling it on Ebay as working.

Perry Babin 5th February 2012 05:53 PM

Looking at the other mods (near U3), I'd suspect this is factory. I looked at another board with exactly the same part number (PAS344-01) and it was significantly different so this may have been from a prototype batch of boards. They generally change the board number when they modify production boards.

brandes.cm 5th February 2012 09:57 PM

Well pulled all outputs, rectifiers and still pulsing in protect mode. Removed 2 fets per side on each power supply thinking it was a loading problem, no change. Removed all the fets from one supply and left the other partially populated, still in protect. Removed all Power supply fets and comes out of protect. This tells me it is secondary supply issues?
Confused, yes I am.