Sub under the seat of Volvo V70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Arne is offline Arne  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Sub under the seat of Volvo V70

I have just bought myself a Volvo V70 Classic. Nice car, lots of space, safety etc. In the old car I had a Pioneer TS-W205A amplified sub in the boot to lend some bass to the sound. It was sitting in the garage and it was convenient. However, in the Volvo I would like to keep the boot as empty as possible, so I was thinking of adding a sub underneath the seat of the Volvo.

First measurements show that I have about 8x25x35cm which would translate into something like 3.15x9.85x13.78 inch.

Any thoughts on whether this is feasible? Are there designs I can look at somewhere? Drivers to consider?

It shouldn't become a boom car, but it should add a little oomph to the lower regions.
Yamaha HT amp, Quad 405-II, Arcam Alpha Plus, B&W DM220, B&W DM5 Isophone drivers and TQWT cabinets for a full range project, Harman/Kardon HT receiver, Infinity RS 4000, JBL MX1000, Garrard, etc. etc.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Now you need to find a driver to fit that space .... You could use a buttkicker bass shaker instead of a conventional speaker in such a small space
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Arne is offline Arne  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

LOL, nice suggestion, but I would prefer sound over massage. ;-)
Yamaha HT amp, Quad 405-II, Arcam Alpha Plus, B&W DM220, B&W DM5 Isophone drivers and TQWT cabinets for a full range project, Harman/Kardon HT receiver, Infinity RS 4000, JBL MX1000, Garrard, etc. etc.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

perhaps you could use something like an aura bass shaker, and build a small box with a 1/4" or less thick mylartop as a diaphragm. not sure what else could fit in that small of space. possibly a sub intended for use in the newer bmw's. by the "boot" i am assuming you mean the cargo area? you could easily get away with an 8" or 10" sub in a small sealed enclosure fiber-glassed into the side. you might even find plenty of room behind one of the trim pannels, as many vehicles have lots of dead space unused behind there to keep the appearance strait lined, rather than a few protrusions....

Hide this!Advertise here!