maximizing amp power for midrange speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What midrange and what amp? Most amps won't give you enough of an increase to make an audible difference in levels.

In theory, a 80watt amplifier with its gains at the maximum safe level will make your speakers play only 6dB louder compared to 20watt amplifier set under the same conditions. 6dB is not a lot, are you going to increase your power by a factor of 4 by running at 2ohm?

You can bridge the 4 channels down to 2, which will increase power output for up to two, 4ohm loads (Two speakers). If the amp is 1/2 or 1 ohm stable then you'll be able to parallel more speakers into this setup. This is presuming that you have spare channels to do this. The only other way I know of is to buy 2ohm speakers and run one on each channel.

A resistor will put unnecessary load on your amp, generate heat, and not imrpove anything audibly useful. It may cause more audible harm actually.

please be kind to that amp. exactly what model is it? likely, it would have a high current/high power setting. if you are going to run it as mentioned, you can get much more power out of it(if it is 2ohm stable bridged) and then would have to have it in high current mode, or it will not last. the beauty of the amp of that period is the sound you get from it, more than the power you can get. as for running resistors, they are only used in series for protection of either the amp, or speakers, by limiting the power/current passed. when used in parallel, all you are doing is shorting out half the power to nothing but heat, and, as mentioed, robbing half of the power that should be going to the speakers. this will make your amp work 2x as hard for the same power, and near its' limit of power, you will end up with less power to the speakers, in reality. if more power is what you need, then you have the option of using a different amp, or speakers. if you are going to bridge it to 2 channels anyways, then you also have many more options for other amps, since a good 2-channel would do the same or better.

If you want to maximize power with less than optimum imepdance. You could use impedance matching transformers for audio. They are use often in tube amp applications. Autosound2000 and DLS are the only two companies that come to mind that readily sell them for car audio applications. Cost and crossover notch is the only downfall to this application.

Nice driver, have the MW162 and MD102 for my set up.

Either run the amp bridged, as suggested, or buy a bigger amp.

If you've got the MD102 then I'd run them off the soundstream bridged and invest in a powerful 2ch-for which there is abundant choice.

I looked into the impedence match transformers when I had a 4ohm sub (Aliante 10Si) and wanted to run it off my Genesis S3 5Ch, was cheaper and more effective to buy another amp for the sub. It's now installed running off a Genesis Dual Mono (also one for my MD102s and a stereo60 for each MW162)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.