Got my order, check out these parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Perry,

I had some questions about this order I just received from a high quality american reseller. They had a good price going for me on IRF3205PBF, so I bought a sleeve. Do these look like real IRF3205 parts? The pair above the 4 are actually an order of IRF3205 (w/ lead) I got off ebay awhile back - while these came in a sleve signifying IR as the manufactorer, the newly aquired order is in a slightly different package. For comparison, the lower sleeve is IRFZ44N also just purchased from the same place.

Old stock (2) from eBay on top, new order (4) below
20120120_183035.jpg

20120120_183107.jpg

20120120_183059.jpg

The blue package is IRFZ44. The unmarked package are the new IRF3205PBF
20120120_183307.jpg

Here are the SKUs on the new sleeves of parts
20120120_183317.jpg

I also picked up this, a 55w 2.7ohm resistor. Should this work well on its own as a current limiter when working on stuborn amps?

20120120_183332.jpg

Here is the datasheet on the large resistor. I hooked it directly to my 10A supply, and it gets hot. VERY hot. Although the specs say it can withstand 350C. After about 3~4 minutes on my 10A supply it hit 310C before i cut the juice.

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/2011/7/31/11/1/37/274/vsh_/manual/hlmnhlm.pdf

Update: OK I think this resistor will work OK, at least on good amps. On ones with shorts it'll run really hot as expected, but amps which are not blown should keep the resistor pretty cool. At least now I have something better than intuition as the current limiter. 3~4 minute intervals on a shorted amp is like a million times more service time than one which I couldnt get to power at all.

Last edited:
I've never seen the label on the 3205s. The offset dimple is new also. The ragged edge (where the plastic meets the metal tab) on the one on the left is also strange.

Is the back of the transistors perfectly smooth if you run you fingernail across the areas that look rough?

You don't generally need to leave power applied with a direct short for more than a few seconds at a time.

Where did you buy them from?

There are a few suppliers on ebay that are very trust worthy and I have bought alot of fets from. DO NOT buy from the ebay sellers that ship your orders from hong kong or china.

You guys should check out a seller called "activeparts" very good quality parts and in 8 years never a problem.

I have a few others I use as well.

I also use Mouser, Allied, Newark, Arrow, and many others.

There are a few suppliers on ebay that are very trust worthy and I have bought alot of fets from. DO NOT buy from the ebay sellers that ship your orders from hong kong or china.

You guys should check out a seller called "activeparts" very good quality parts and in 8 years never a problem.

I have a few others I use as well.

I also use Mouser, Allied, Newark, Arrow, and many others.

Quality seller! I've done business with that seller. bough 50 pieces (IRF3205) for a good price and bought other parts in large quantities no problems with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.