Random engine noise in subs!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I mounted my amp and subs a few weeks ago have been sounding awesome. Last week I unhooked the subs for more trunk space. Yesterday went to put them back in. The car was running but the subs were turned off at the head unit. When plugging in the +wire into the amp it sparked, and the subs hit. Now with the engine running I getting a pulsing engine sound in the subs. I checked the subs and I know they are not blown. And I know the amp is not in protection mode. Also the problem only happens when the RCA jacks are plugged into the amp. Please help !?!?

if its a pioneer you most likely have a blown fuse for the RCA ground shiels..

If you have a multi meter set it to ohms place one place 1 probe on the outer shield of the rca on the head unit and the other probe anywhere on the caes of the head unit do you get a reading??

E.g. I made a compact amp box for son’s Toyota and installed it, it was the noisy noisiest thing I ever heard, like an airplane engine. I took it back out, moved a few things around, it went away, completely (not even sure what I even did).

Don’t overreact by pulling every thing out, gently move power, RCAs and speakers wires around, obviously crossing over is not good.

Did you run the power wire and the RCA line on the “same side”, or together?

If you getting a reading of 1 ohm from the rca shield ground to the case of the head unit then thats fine and is a good sign that the head unit is still working like it should..

Set your meter to dc voltage uplug the rca's and the speaker wires to your amp and stick your black probe in the negative speaker terminal and the red in the positive speaker terminal ..

What is the reading you get on that test??

Perhaps the problem is not in the audio section, but in the car itself. Try disconnecting the alternator to see if you are getting RFI from it. If not, it may be coming from the ignition system. If your ignition wires are five years old or older, this could be the cause. Same with spark plugs. Find the cause of the noise before rewiring your car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.