Rockford FOsgate BD1000 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2011, 04:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

See if you have voltage from the remote terminal to D14(?) to pins 14 and 17 of the 3526.
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

You will have to excuse me I wrote the voltages on the wrong pins I got in a hurry and started at the wrong end and the wrong side. I can repost if you like?

I have voltage from the remote terminal to D14 and from D14 I have voltage of 13.32 to both pins 14 and 17.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:34 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

The low voltage on pin 16 means that there is a problem. Either something is dragging it down or the IC is defective.
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well the amp had a horrible failure. Almost all the output fets were shorted and the power supply was completely fried.

Could a failure of this nature kill the SG3526N?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 23rd December 2011, 05:09 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I replaced the SG3526 and the amp powers up fine and idles fine. The drive circuit looks good on the scope. I would say all is well with the power supply.

Thats the first SG3526 I have ever seen fail.

Thanks Perry onto the output stage!!!
Old 29th December 2011, 04:39 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I replaced the U17 and 1/2 of the output fets that were defective. I powered up the amp and all was good. I viewed the drive circuit again through the scope and it looked perfect. I viewed the gate drive circuit on the output fets and it all looked perfect. I also viewed the opto-couplers and a few op-amps and all signals looked perfect.

I tested for sound and the amp produced sound and clean audio on the scope.

I bolted the board down in the heatsink and when power was applied via remote terminal the amp went into direct short, full draw and almost killed my power supply. I dis connected everything and was like WTF?????

I removed the amp from the heat sink and as soon as the power and ground were hooked up (no remote) same thing dead short, full draw on my supply.

I removed all the power supply fets and replaced the 2 pnp and 2 npn drivers (again). I hooked up the power and ground and it seemed fine. I then connected the remote terminal and still no short. While the remote terminal was hooked up I viewed the drive circuit on the scope and all was perfect square waveform.

I didnt have any solder bridges, and to the best of my knowledge upon careful inspection nothing from the amp was touching the heat sink. I powered the amp up many times out of the sink with no issues.

Why would it short the power supply fets upon installation into the heat sink?? The 5 screws that hold the board down are all grounds for various paths in the circuit board.

Could a few of the power supply fets been leaky after tinning them?

If so why did it power up fine out of the sink?

I am at a loss???
Old 29th December 2011, 05:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I screwed the board down in the sink with the power supply fets removed and applied power ground and remote. The drive circuit still looks perfect.

I only installed the 5 screws that hold the board to the sink, none of the mesha board screws.

Is there a possible way the mesha board could become conductive??

I dont see any discoloration or burn or arc spots on it.

I dont know what to think, however I would like some opinions before I waste my time smoking 8 more power supply fets.
Old 29th December 2011, 07:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

You need to use a current limiter.

It's possible that there is a short to the MEHSA insulator. Touch one probe to the bare metal edge of the insulator and touch the probe to the tabs of all of the components soldered to the insulator. Do you read anything other than OL?
Old 29th December 2011, 08:37 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Ok I will use one, the reason I didnt because I had the board powered up out of the sink so long with no issues I didnt think I needed one.

I will test the tabs against the bare metal now, and post results.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I read OL on every tab of every fet on both the power supply side and the output side.

I wonder if I had some leaky fets after tinning them, but it still does not explain why the amp would power up fine out of the sink.

Hide this!Advertise here!