soundstream picasso class a amp question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2011, 12:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default soundstream picasso class a amp question

do you know if it would be okay to replace those 8 big yellow film capacitors reading 4.7uf with ones with a lower value maybe with a 3.3uf or even a 2.2uf will this alter the sound quality to make it sound warmer? i'm scared of messing up my picasso. will this make the amp more unstable in any way?
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:21 AM   #2
marko is offline marko  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

why would you want to change them? are they leaking or something?
Old 24th December 2011, 10:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default picasso class A chrome amp 1996

yes they are, i realized this when i noticed one of the channel playing lower than the other so i swapped 2 of the yellow capacitor from the rear right channel with the 2 yellow capacitor from the front right channel and the issue moved from the rear right channel to the front right channel and fixed the rear channel. since i need to replace 2 of them i am going to just replace all of them and just wanted to know if anyone knows if changing the value will affect the sound quality or the value has to be followed or my amp will go up in smoke.
Old 24th December 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
azvrt is offline azvrt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I can't answer your capacitor question but we are about to experiment with different op-amps on a Ref Picasso and I will let you know the results. We have replaced two of the four OP275 by OPA2134 and will compare the modified channels with the original channels.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default do anyone have an explaination to why the picasso class a has those big yellow caps

do anyone have an explaination to why the picasso class A has those metalized polypropelyne caps with (4.7k 100v, mpa ch) if they are leaky will replacing them with solen 4.0uf 250v metalized poplypropelyne caps be ok or would it cause problems. what if i was to replace them with a solen 4.7uf 400v metallized polypropelyne capacitor would this be ok. would i need to replace them in pairs or should just replace all 8 of them. how does this amp compare to a mcintosh amp, been debating on purchasing a mcintosh. I'm on a quest in building a sq system for the past 15 years and still not successful. I'm just not satisfy with my results.

Hide this!Advertise here!