Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2011, 04:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Running Home audio in my car. Complete Noob.

Hey fellas, I am wondering if anybody could give me a step by step way to run my home towers in my trunk.
Specs.
4 x 160 watt 5 ohm 8 inch Titan Subs
Inside their own tower boxes with some holes or w/e kinda like little porting... And I'm pretty sure they have a little tweeter in them.
I have no idea where to start... What to buy. I am on a budget.
Cheers,
Léo
Old 13th December 2011, 04:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I guess we are assuming you can't fit your towers in your trunk!!....You simply have to rebuild each tower into an enclosure shape that can be fitted into your trunk. If this is the case & you don't have some basic woodworking skills nor some tools to do the job.........a local Car-Stereo shop will be happy to reconfigure (Build) up some enclosures to fit. Keep in mind to keep the internal volume of each enclosure constant...You can change the shape, but keep it the same inside. With that in mind you can keep the same port tube. It sounds like you 'home' towers are full-range W/tweeters.......keep this configuration as you will be able to pop the newly made boxes out of the trunk, uncoil some extra long wiring & use them for an outdoor party.
Old 13th December 2011, 04:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Towers DO fit in my drunk.. haha um what sorta amp do I need?
Old 13th December 2011, 04:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I did something like this back in 1975 in my Chevy van. I had to run home audio gear back then as there wasn't much available in the way of quality car audio gear back then. 12 volt to 120 volt inverters got me by back then...

I think your gonna find that those home speakers are very efficient and require very little power to drive them. In any case you will not have any of the troubles I did 36 years ago as there are dozens of car amps companies building 4 channel amps that are more then capable of driving those speakers with ease.
I would start looking around from any of the better brand names out there for a four channel amp to connect to your Head unit. Try to select a amp that has good speaker load protection so in case you lose a driver in any of your speakers or lose a channel in the amp the speakers will be protected as best as possible.
Old 13th December 2011, 05:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

in one tower (3 speakers, tweet, sub sub) are all connected into one jack a black and a red
Old 13th December 2011, 05:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

And they are 4 ohm not 5.. typo
Old 15th December 2011, 04:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Like I have no idea what I have to buy, each box is 3ft tall and has one positive and one negative, I plan on using both.
Old 15th December 2011, 05:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Anything around 20-25 watts RMS per channel to 100W RMS per channel should get things rocking. I'd go for something at the lower end of that power range, and use the remainder of the budget for time, labor, and parts (wire, connectors, etc.) to ensure a good install.
Old 15th December 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I want to get the best out of my speakers by maxing out the wattage. I wouldn't want to blow them but I would want to be able to put 150Watts per cone. Installation is not a problem and wireing is not a problem. I want to know what i have to buy to get the most out of it.
Old 15th December 2011, 04:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leochevalier91 View Post
I want to get the best out of my speakers by maxing out the wattage.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that concept.
Quote:
Installation is not a problem and wireing is not a problem.
Famous last words. Optimism is for people who lack experience.

Hide this!Advertise here!