Running Home audio in my car. Complete Noob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey fellas, I am wondering if anybody could give me a step by step way to run my home towers in my trunk.
Specs.
4 x 160 watt 5 ohm 8 inch Titan Subs
Inside their own tower boxes with some holes or w/e kinda like little porting... And I'm pretty sure they have a little tweeter in them.
I have no idea where to start... What to buy. I am on a budget.
Cheers,
Léo

I guess we are assuming you can't fit your towers in your trunk!!....You simply have to rebuild each tower into an enclosure shape that can be fitted into your trunk. If this is the case & you don't have some basic woodworking skills nor some tools to do the job.........a local Car-Stereo shop will be happy to reconfigure (Build) up some enclosures to fit. Keep in mind to keep the internal volume of each enclosure constant...You can change the shape, but keep it the same inside. With that in mind you can keep the same port tube. It sounds like you 'home' towers are full-range W/tweeters.......keep this configuration as you will be able to pop the newly made boxes out of the trunk, uncoil some extra long wiring & use them for an outdoor party.

I did something like this back in 1975 in my Chevy van. I had to run home audio gear back then as there wasn't much available in the way of quality car audio gear back then. 12 volt to 120 volt inverters got me by back then...:wchair:

I think your gonna find that those home speakers are very efficient and require very little power to drive them. In any case you will not have any of the troubles I did 36 years ago as there are dozens of car amps companies building 4 channel amps that are more then capable of driving those speakers with ease.
I would start looking around from any of the better brand names out there for a four channel amp to connect to your Head unit. Try to select a amp that has good speaker load protection so in case you lose a driver in any of your speakers or lose a channel in the amp the speakers will be protected as best as possible. :hohoho:

Anything around 20-25 watts RMS per channel to 100W RMS per channel should get things rocking. I'd go for something at the lower end of that power range, and use the remainder of the budget for time, labor, and parts (wire, connectors, etc.) to ensure a good install.

Too bad we aren't closer, I'd help you out with that. Be aware that putting those towers in your trunk may change their performance dramatically. They were designed to work in a large space and the resonant frequency of the box will likely change a fair bit in your trunk. If I were you I'd put them in the trunk and then wire them up to a stereo receiver outside the car just to hear them in the car. You can probably close the trunk if the wires are not too heavy gauge. This way you will know if it's worth the trouble.

Too bad we aren't closer, I'd help you out with that. Be aware that putting those towers in your trunk may change their performance dramatically. They were designed to work in a large space and the resonant frequency of the box will likely change a fair bit in your trunk. If I were you I'd put them in the trunk and then wire them up to a stereo receiver outside the car just to hear them in the car. You can probably close the trunk if the wires are not too heavy gauge. This way you will know if it's worth the trouble.

I was just told this by my cousin yesterday and im starting to see the point of just going to buy speakers and subs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.