Rockford Fosgate 1501bd preview Repairing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, today I received this amp, I bought on eBay.
I keep thinking, how someone can destroy an amplifier of this form.
I counted seven mosfet destroyed, burned six resistors, four capacitors swollen, two ceramic pieces are missing, and sure there is more bad parts.
I do not know where to start.
Do not enter my head, how could that happen.
Anybody can explain me?

Tomorrow I'll start to repair it.

Attachments

• DSCN2985.JPG
    DSCN2985.JPG
    768.7 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN2988.JPG
    DSCN2988.JPG
    756.5 KB · Views: 484
  • DSCN2991.JPG
    DSCN2991.JPG
    740.9 KB · Views: 593
Some people think that they know more than the next guy if they can run their amps below the rated impedance.

This is one reason that I no longer work on MMATS amps. It seems that every owner thinks that every MMATS amp can and should be driven into a 0.25 ohm load. There's no way to convince them otherwise. I've given up trying.

This is not a difficult repair. When they come in with all of the power supply FETs blown along with blown outputs, it's much more difficult.

I only see one swollen cap next to one of the regulators. Which others are swollen?

Do you have a scope?

That amp does not look that bad at all that should be an easy repair. Looks like one bank of output fets fried could have been a blown sub. You first need to remove all the shorted output fets from the circuit.

I am sure the MIC4420CT low side mosfet driver will be bad after a failure like that. You will need a few IRF3415 and IRF6215 output fets and some gate resistors and a driver likely.

Does the amp power on is it in protect whats the scoop?

Some of the bd's were notorious for "whining" it was the torroid I think they actually vibrated. Didnt really hurt anything but was annoying and if you put your hand on it and applied pressure it would stop.

Rockford started coating them to eliminate the problem. That one looks like it was done by someone other than Rockford. I usually dont coat them like that as it would hold alot of heat.

I have used silicone and epoxy both to eliminate the whine.

Yes, certainly, I think that kind of caulk on top of the toroid, is to reduce noise and vibration from it. (putty is hard, it seems cement)

Thanks to everyone for their comments and ideas.

Perry, the capacitors are swollen surrounding both Q15 and Q16 regulators, perhaps in the photo is not well appreciated, but I can assure you are swollen, below.
I'm thinking about buying an oscilloscope.

This afternoon I start to get parts.

Well, I got all the pieces, apparently, I found defective.
Seankane was right, the MIC4420 was dead. (the only piece I have to ask the shop, the other pieces I have them all)
I connected an amplifier time to check the supply voltage, when I still had to desolder, Q15 and Q16 regulators.
Then, led power protection, power supply, HV, 110v and 120v up to more, but Q15 in four seconds, it gets red hot (you can not touch)
Q15 and Q16 I have removed and checked their values​​, contrasting them with new ones, and have a different reading (they seem to have leaks)
Tomorrow I begin to weld the new pieces.

Attachments

• DSCN2997.JPG
    DSCN2997.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN2996.JPG
    DSCN2996.JPG
    823.8 KB · Views: 265
Well, finally today I got the part I needed, (MIC 4420)
Parts Replacement:
R72, R74, R186, R187, R188. (At the end, I found the same as the originals)
C26, C31, C57 to C63, C74. (electrolytic and tantalum)
U6. (MIC4420CT)
Q15, Q16, Q103, Q104, Q105, Q106, Q8, Q110, Q111, Q112, Q25.
Well, when connected, what happens is this:
The LED lights up protection for two seconds and then turns off.
Nothing warms up, but (now comes the good part ...) in the audio output of the speaker, I have 125V ¿.? How can it be? Is there a short circuit somewhere? I do not know if I suspect polyester capacitors ....

Attachments

• DSCN3014.JPG
    DSCN3014.JPG
    777.7 KB · Views: 204
Almost every bd series amp I have repaired with DC voltage on the output terminals has been U17 the LM6171 BIN. Not all but most. If you have DC voltage of more than a fraction on pins 2 and 6 it is defective for sure. The only pins you should have any significant DC on are pins 4 and 7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.