Speaker sounds blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently, I installed some 6x9 tarantulas. They are powered by a sony 600w 4 channel amp. Prior to these, I had a set of 6ohm house speakers and prior to that I had some Sony xplods.

I have my everything configured like so. Sony cd player-> amp via output lines->amp Channels 1,2 -> speakers, channels 3-4 are bridged pushing a sub.

Channels 1 and 2 have a high pass filter on the amp and cross over for the speakers. The sub uses a low pass filter on the amp.

Now when listing to music, everything on channel 2 sounds blown. At high volumes, the amp sometimes shuts down. Lately,now that it's colder, the amp doesn't shut down.

Possibly a bad filter cap in my amp? Maybe in my cd player? I've applied new thermal compound to components in the amp, added a little extra heatsinking, this didn't fix the shut down problems.

If everything you connect to ch2 sounds distorted, swap the RCAs for channels 1 and 2. If ch2 is still distorted, that channel will need to be repaired. Some possible problems are defective output or driver transistors, an open or out of tolerance resistor, a bad solder connection, dirty switch or potentiometer contacts...

Have you operated all of the various controls on the amp through their entire range to see if ch2 would ever play cleanly?

They are hooked up from the cd players output(speaker) lines to the aMp, no rcas in use(none for those channels on amp)

Now I havnt ran through playing with the gain setting yet. The high pass filter didnt have any affect to the distortion(worked as it should)
There are no other settings on this.

Ill swap the lines and between 1 and 2 when I get off work. Guess it would be the deciding factor of amp or deck.

But thanks for the tips, the sound is really getting to me >.<

It's channel 2 of my amp

It doesn matter if its hooked up with RCA or with the lines coming out of the deck. The amp is a 600w Sony XM-554ZR

Im going to see if i can trace it back to the problem..

While i got the amp apart, anyone know a way to maybe get more power out of it? better mosfets, transistors, caps, etc

There's no practical way to get more power from it.

When you get it opened up if you don't see anything obvious, push on various points on the board with a non-conductive probe while it's playing to see if the problem is due to a broken solder connection. It will have to be playing with a speaker (preferably a woofer) connected to the defective channel.

The amp should have two 25 amp fuses in it. I'd suggest removing those and installing one 10 amp fuse.

If you remove the board, remove the screws holding the aluminum plates down. Leave the ones holding the transistors to those plates.

Browsing isn't to horrible, slow,'but not to to bad. Searching sucks felt google

Now iPhones do not support flash at all, androids do - but I found the link and reading. I've made repairs but this 1 has slipped past me(haven't looked hard yet) at it. I have another pioneer amp that has blown transistors/ voltage regulators. Can't see what they are >.< I have a feeling soon enough, I may be able to find out what goes there/substitute and fix that as well. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.