tools - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2011, 02:09 AM   #1
timwebb is offline timwebb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default tools

im looking to buy a new soldering iron and a pump. any good ones i should get?
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I get away with a $20 iron but I am sure others will suggest you buy something considerably more expensive.
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The weller WESD51 is a nice unit. $129 shipped on ebay.

I just get mine at radio shack. They have a good selection, prices are cheap, they work very well, and they are close to me. I get several months out of their irons considering they are on 6 hours a day at least.

They have alot of readily available replacement parts for their products as well. I think I bought my iron and de soldering iron for like $30 out the door and they work awesome even for tinning mosfets and major terminal repairs and such.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:33 AM   #4
RiLoWa is offline RiLoWa  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the WESD51 and like it a lot. The $129 is as good a price as you'll find on it. Very good tip selection available for it. I use a Sterling 7420 Pump, and it works alright. Sometimes, when using it on large pools of solder, it can jam it up after it cools. I haven't bought the $5 replacement tip for it yet so I can't comment on its life span.
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For a desoldering pump, consider just getting the red bulb type from Radio Shack for about $3. Scrounge a piece of stiff wire to use as a poke to clear the nozzle. Most times this works great for me. My spring action pump stays in the toolbox - like a difficult woman, it's too high maintenance.
Old 22nd November 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Dr Zeus is offline Dr Zeus  United States
diyAudio Member

My local car audio distribution center whom I fix a lot of amps for also sells Chineese tools. They had a $10 adjustible soldering iron there which looked pretty good, which I bought. It is most excelent, and a lot better than the RadioShack irons I now keep in the toolbox. You may need a bigger iron or a gun for the much larger work though.

Here it is, but I got mine for $10.
http://www.amazon.com/Stahl-Tools-Va...597974-2462209

Last edited by Dr Zeus; 22nd November 2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Good buy for $10 looks like it would be good for small repairs, but no tinning mosfets or doing big terminal or transformer repairs. The tip looks very small, but great fro getting in tight spots.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 22nd November 2011, 07:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Don't confuse an iron with a control that adjusts the power to the heater with an iron that allows you to set the temperature and maintains it. The ones that simply control power will drift significantly in temperature. The ones that monitor the temperature and maintain the preset temperature are MUCH better because the iron doesn't cool when it's on a large solder connection (assuming you're not trying to heat something that sinks a huge amount of heat).
Old 28th November 2011, 10:59 AM   #9
rrae is offline rrae  Norway
diyAudio Member

And what about DC power supplies - what kind of model/brand each of us are using?

Hide this!Advertise here!