Sony XM-120 (Very old school) for the new school

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really dont know how old this amp is, but let me say, its OLD; like Alpine 3545 era. This amp is rated at 60w+60w (60x2). The neatest thing I saw on the outside of this amp is it's power rating is graphed over distortion rating from 0 through 100 watts (<0.1% under ~70w). I found this amp in the bottom of a rock-pile of junk at the local flea market with a $40 price tag. I got it for $10.

I dont know all that much about this one, other than Sony is written all over it - most of the solid state transistors are manufactored by Sony. This amp is absolutely made in Japan. The Powersupply secion is using a pair of Fuji-Electric S2D1049. About 1/2 the datasheet is written in Japanese: 2SD1049 pdf, 2SD1049 description, 2SD1049 datasheets, 2SD1049 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::. Unfortunately or unless I'm measuring incorrectly, they are both shorted across legs 1&3.

The rectifiers are manufactored by Sony, same for the ICs.

The amp has a detachable/removable power supply section which is wierd but not unlike Japanese manufactorers of this period.

Did I find something cool and unusual? All I was able to find on the internet about this amp is a few die-hards looking for one.

20111106_150011.jpg

Black wires red stripe is + the other set of black wires the white stripe is hot
all 4 come from the opposite side of the amp as the Power Suppply wires.
Blue remote turn o0n
big black body ground
Big red B+

OK this helps but there is a thick black cord that comes from the same side as the other wires but off to the side a bit. The end of it has several pins with a cap. I dont need it for the amp to work but im curious as to what it is. Also i would like to know how to change the wire size in this amp! Thanks so much!

What wire size are you wanting to change and why ?It isn't a high current amp it will not add any audible change to the amp performance.
Did you notice the power supply filter caps are in the audio section of the amp. This is even more strange the 4 tall caps are 1000uf 50v and the 4 short caps are 470uf and 25 volt.
This was the first Amp I remember that used a dual voltage rail system ,At low volume it used the 25 volt caps and at high volume it switched on the higher voltage power supply and used the 50 volt caps .
This amp had a vey unique design especially for 1986.They were very reliable and didn't sound bad at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.