Boston Acoustics GTA 800m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I own a gta 800m that recently died. It's out of warantee and I have experience as an audio tech, so I opened it up. I replaced the output and power transistors, along with the driver transistors for the TL494. I also replaced a 22uF cap near the output relay that appeared to be bulging. The amp is still in protection mode and I only get 6v at Vcc of the TL494.

I've also included a closeup of the TL494. The traces around the IRF3205's were really burnt up. The hot glue was me insulating the traces I had to fix, along with the 47 ohm resistors I had to replace.

Attachments

• GTA800M.jpg
    GTA800M.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 99
  • TL494.jpg
    TL494.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 82
If you look at the drains of the power supply FETs (with a scope) after you get the amp working, you'll see that the resistor is not connected to the drains. The connection that you found between the resistor and the drain is through the transformer's primary winding.

Does the other end of the 10 ohm resistor connect to the firs leg of Q1?

What do you mean by 'low resistance'?

Q1 is a B631K PNP transistor.

The voltages on the board without the transistor are:

Q1:
pin 1: 6v, jumps to 12v with remote off
pin 2: 0v
pin 3: 12v

It looks to me like it acts as a switch. I don't have an exact replacement on hand. So I replaced it with a RS-2026 PNP transistor. I just turned it around because the pinouts are reversed.

Now as soon as power is applied the red LED for protection mode lights. When the remote is switched on the LED lights up brighter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.