RF T1500-1BD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The two mylar caps in the output filter circuit are completely toast, would anyone know the value? The only number I have for the pcb is 1325-52759-05. RF support is down and can't ask for a schematic, I would guess they won't release it anyway.

Gate resistor value for the PS fets as well?

I have never seen such a mess before, apparently the guy didn't fuse this amp. The PS fets started on fire and actually cooked the paint on the clamp.

Still having issues with this amp. If I just apply B+ and gnd or Rem and gnd I have no issues. I can see the gate drive signal in the power supply. One side goes from gnd to B+ and the other is referenced above gnd and switches from here to B+. Looks to be a nice square wave at 50% duty cycle.

Should the sync signal be sawtooth 100Khz? I am basing this off the 1000BD schematic I have.

From photos I have, it appears that the output filter caps are 6.8uf. I can't read the voltage. The gate resistors for the power supply are 60.4 ohms.

At least it's repairable. The following amp wasn't.
IrfanView HTML-Thumbnails

How does something like that even happen? How did that amp continue to work long enough to cause that much damage? That is some unreal stuff there - wow. :eek:

This can happen with proper fusing. When an FET fails, the source leg fuses open and produces a small arc. If the conditions are right, the arc can grow and you have essentially the same thing you have with a welding machine. If the conditions are right, the arc can be sustained for quite a while. I've seen it happen but the arc never lasted long enough to do this type of damage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.