Why are my lights dimming...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Light bulbs (in cars) are low voltage high current devices. This means that a small drop in voltage causes a very noticeable dimming. Swing the supply to a 12 volt 55 watt bulb around 12.5 to 14.5v and you see a big change in light output.

If your alternator can maintain at least 12.5 volts across the battery (give or take depending on battery electroylite specific gravity) then the battery is not going into discharge and as far as the car is concerned there isn't a problem.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well I just looked at my volt meter again..it's now sitting at 15 volts now...That's bad, isn't it?

Alternators (the voltage regulator) is temperature compensated. On a cold start (alternator cold) it can be as high as 16 volts for a short time falling away as the alternator heats up. That ensures the battery gets a real chance to recover and accept useful charge.

On a hot day with a hot engine the alternator may only average say 13.8 volts or lower... that's normal.

Alternators (the voltage regulator) is temperature compensated. On a cold start (alternator cold) it can be as high as 16 volts for a short time falling away as the alternator heats up. That ensures the battery gets a real chance to recover and accept useful charge.

On a hot day with a hot engine the alternator may only average say 13.8 volts or lower... that's normal.

That might be the case.. though it's not that cold out right now.

I suggest that you remove the capacitor in your trunk and install a battery. It needn't be anything special but it will reduce the Ir loss (voltage loss due to the resistance in the power cables) and improve the performance of your audio system.

lol I have 1/0 gauge wire going thru my whole system, including the power wire for the amp and ground...so...I don't think resistance is the issue...or maybe it is..I'm not good w this crap.. I'm just a sub/amp guy, not electronic wiring. But at the moment, I'm saving my money for some sundown z12s...not worried about buying another battery. When I get the money...I'll buy one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.