Why are my lights dimming...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if it's usual...but just had a big 3 upgrade and such, everything is done right, the grounds are all stripped clean metal and mounted correctly...when my car is in idle, it dims, but when I rev the engine...everything is fine. Idk if it's because I have old light bulbs or what...

your current demand exceeds your current capability.

BTW, old fashioned dynamos behaved like old fashioned labourers, They slogged away even at low revs to try to give the current output demanded.
Modern alternators are much like modern workers. They refuse to work hard unless you pay them well. They need revs. If you are interested in this difference look up the output vs revs plots for the two different styles of generators.

Ah okay, I just didn't know if I needed to replace my light bulbs...because the light bulbs are like 13 years old. I think I get 200amps at 2.3 rpm or somewhere around there. Maybe 1.7rpm..I don't remember the specs on it. But I was just thinking that if it's a 220 amp alternator, it should be producing my amps.

The only reason I bought this up was because my wiring goes from battery>starter>alternator and not battery>alternator...so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having a problem with the wiring. Although if that was the case.. I'm screwed because there is no way to bypass it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.